Air Pressure on Plane and Wearing Ear Muffs — Any Potential Risks?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Yas, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hello,

I will be on a 4 hour flight tomorrow. This is my first flight with a perforated eardrum and tinnitus.

I bought ear muffs to defend my ears from the noise of the aircraft. However I only just noticed that it causes a suction when I remove it. Will this pressure to my eardrums cause any additional problems on the flight, does anyone know?

They are:
      Mpow 035 ear defenders. SNR 34dB noise reduction earmuffs with soft foam ear cups.

Also anyone have experience with going on a plane with a perforation? It’s supposed to be more comfortable than a normal eardrum.

Thank you!

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Hola Yas! You will be absolutely fine despite the ear perforation.

Take into account that the noisiest times will actually be boarding and getting off the plane, unless this is done through a jetty, of course.

Once on board you can use earmuffs for the whole flight. In general terms, the closest you sit to the cabin, to the front of the plane, the less noise there will be.

Enjoy your flight!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum

Thank you Juan!

I will take these into account!

what do you think of the additional suction/air pressure the ear muffs create?

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's quite normal, you shouldnt worry about it. You may feel more pressure at the beginning if you arent used to earmuffs, but over time it will be ok.

5. Ivkopivko
      Speechless

Ivkopivko Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know, probably motorsport + headphones for last years
      You're most probably already in plane or on the way from the airport at your destination.

I'm using normal foam earplugs 32dB SNR and works well, no negative experiences with pressure changes or anything like it. I would say even if I didn't have tinnitus I would use them just for higher comfort.

My longest trip with earplugs has been Frankfurt to Seattle (~11 hours) and San Francisco - Munich (10,5) and both went just fine, I had plugs inserted all the time.

6. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I would get some foam plugs and wear them all through the airport where you won't be wearing the muffs. They can be as effective as muffs, as far as the protective rating goes.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Yas

Yas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/11/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Thank you so much everyone I feel more comforted :)

I’m on my way to the airport now, I’ll update this thread about how I do!

My ent suggested against using earplugs in case of additional pressure! I think and hope that I should be fine with my ear muffs!

• Like Like x 2