Aleve (Naproxen) Has Worsened My Tinnitus. Prednisone for Ototoxicity?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zinnia, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I took aleve 2 nights ago and now my tinnitus is louder. It became louder about 3-4 hours after taking it and hasn't let up since. It's also even higher-pitched and my ear hurt intermittently all day yesterday. I just keep doing the wrong things... I'm trying to not be emotional here but feel like a beat down dog. My ear just keeps getting worse.

My good ear is still (knock on wood) tinnitus free but the bad one increased. My guess is that there were some cochlear hair cells just hanging on barely functioning and along came the aleve and put those sad sacks down. That's my guess as to why it's only affected my one ear.

Does anyone know if prednisone is used for ototoxicity? I can't find anything that says it is, but wanted to throw the question out there.

The other thing, obviously I'm hoping this is temporary but I know there's a chance it will be a permanent increase... anyone had aleve, advil, any NSAID, cause a temporary increase? Tonight will be 2 nights since I took the crap and it hasn't gone down since.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zinnia
      No Mood

Zinnia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Has this even happened to anyone here from any kind of NSAID?

3. XL40

XL40 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Hello Zinnia,

Did your spike from Naproxen go away? The exact same thing happened to me. took a 500mg of Naproxen on Sunday and within 3 hrs had a spike of a high pitch fluctuating T.

It’s now been 5 days and I’m still suffering from the spike. Has yours went down?

4. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Zinnia did your t ever returned back to baseline?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Yeah, me. I was on NSAIDs playing electric guitar and that's when I got my hearing damage.