Almost $560 Million Was Won by an American Lottery Participant

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IvanRus, Jan 8, 2018.

1. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Almost $ 560 million was won by a participant in the American lottery Powerball. As reported by ABC, the rally was on January 6, and the winners were 12, 29, 30, 33, 61, the bonus number is 26.

Are you still in the US lottery so popular among the population that their organizers have the opportunity to pay such amounts? $ 560 million. Where would you spend at least some of this money?

I would, of course, have invested the most in research and development of drugs for hearing loss and tinnitus.

Even if we compare the amount received by one casual person with the budgets of start-ups "frequency terapeutics" ($ 20 million), "decibel" ($ 20 million), the ESIT program ($ 12 million), it becomes clear why we are so far from real discoveries. Finance for these issues is devilishly scarce.

Apparently, the manufacturers of hearing aids have a strong lobby in power.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It happens because nobody had won for a while. Also, the larger the jackpot, the more lottery tickets are sold, increasing the size of the jackpot.

Americans have to pay taxes on lotto winnings, so something like 40% of it will go towards taxes.

If I had no budget constraint, I would buy private islands and a private plane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Hmmmm, all that money, how nice!

If I won I would like to set up a hospital for the treatment and research of Tinnitus. I would also donate money for research for autoimmune illness (Scleroderma, MS, ALS) as I think more research is needed for the treatment of these diseases, perhaps even come out with vaccines to prevent them.

After this I will move somewhere WARM, even HOT; somewhere with oceans and waterfalls that drown out my T. No more work, just relaxation with music and art, exercise and red wine.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Americans across the board are terrible with money, especially when it comes all at once, and research has shown that most people who win such large sums end up broke or worse.

http://time.com/4176128/powerball-jackpot-lottery-winners/

Everyone always wants to think "I'm different! I'm smarter than those people! I would never make those mistakes!", and yet, here we are. One side effect of winning such huge amounts of money is that it immediately alienates you from your existing social (and in some cases familial) structures -- people who make 50K a year feel jealous or uncomfortable in the presence of someone who never has to work again. Meanwhile, these people don't really have any idea how to navigate the protocols of 1%er social life.

It doesn't seem great. If you put $560,000,000 in front of me and offered it to me, of course I would take it, but ultimately I'd be a little shocked if it made me 'happier'. As I see it, the life I have in front of me now has all the necessary pieces to find happiness, so if I don't, that's got very little to do with the outside world, and everything to do with myself...

5. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Yes, I read. This young man said that he plans to spend money on family, entertainment, and, fundamentally for us, to IMPROVE this world. I think we need to find and contact this guy, and convince him to invest some of the money in the research and treatment of hearing loss and tinnitus. This is one of the best investments in this world!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Lottery winners report being approached by countless shady people asking them to invest or donate their money. If we do approach this lottery winner, we will have a lot of competition. Also, if you were to win some money, how much of it would you donate to try to find a cure for some disease you have never heard of?

He is most likely saying that he will "improve this world" because he thinks that people expect him to say that. I hate him a lot for saying that. If he really means it, then it is sad that this lottery prize is going to be wasted. One is very unlikely to improve the world, one COULD improve one's own life though.
      If that were the case, people would be lining up to make this amazing investment.

• Agree Agree x 1