Alpha Lipoic Acid and Noise Exposure

Discussion in 'Support' started by TalkingCat, May 8, 2017.

1. TalkingCat
      Gloomy

TalkingCat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Emotional stress
      So I have a relatively long car trip upcoming and I just wanted to ask what you people think about taking alpha lipoic acid as a possible precaution against any noise induced spikes. It will be about 2.5 hours on a good road in a VW Jetta. I have to add that my tinnitus is NOT noise induced and it generally spikes only for two reasons: weather (it loves wind and thunderstorms and I came to hate both for that reason) and anxiety. It is not impressed by diet, supplements, etc. However, since it got so bad in February I didn't spend much time in loud environments, apart from a few minutes at ca. 80 db, followed by about 15 to 20 minutes at 50 to 60 db on Saturday (without plugs since I actually don't have any but I ordered some yesterday *lol*) but that didn't cause a spike but more of a "spook" (I was in hysterics for the remainder of that day and couldn't sleep but the resulting half-day spike was probably due to weather changes and anxiety).

On the recommendation of my ENT I've been taking 600 mg of alpha lipoic acid for about three weeks but it was as a precaution against yet another episode of SSHL (had four relatively light episodes since January, the first of which, togehter with a cold likely caused my relatively light T to go to its present crazy volume in the first place). I've read that a 10 day course of ALA is supposed to protect from noise induced hearing loss (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3552536/) and so my question is: Could that actually work in our case, too?

Also, for the same reason, my ENT recommended taking 100 mg ASA (Aspirin) daily, which I reduced to 50 mg, knowing that it is ototoxic, even if every doctor I ever met told me that yes, it is but no, not in that low dose. But since I read somewhere here that the ototoxicity is ramped up if you take the drugs and afterwards expose yourself to noise, would it be reasonable to stop taking it 3 days before the trip (plasma clearing takes 3 days)? Or am I just overly cautious?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been taking alpha lipoic acid for a long time now. I plan to be alternate between wearing noise-cancelling headphones and shooter muffs the next time I will be driving on the highway. I will be wearing earplugs with those.