AM-101 Clinical Trial — Participants Updates and Discussion

Discussion in 'Research News' started by NewGuy, Oct 21, 2014.

1. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      You see, 9 holes. So probably +3 holes too much?

Anyhow, you are right I shouldn't have responded to @Stink 's comment. I made my point of view about this study crystal clear. Nonetheless, I wish all trialees here good luck.

2. Romain B.

Romain B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      @Matt h
      @OddV
      @NewGuy
      @Laika
      @tomm
      @EarsKid
      @Chelovek
      @sergerold

Hi guys,

Just to know for those who have done the trial and have had some relief/benefit in term of intensity from the 2nd round of injection (the real drug), in which time frame did you noticed this benefit (quietness) ? 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks ?

Cause i'm 2 weeks from the 2nd round of injection, and things just start to come back as it was before.. I feel the aircraft is still about to land.
      So how long did it took you to feel something better after the 2nd set of injection ?

3. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
    4. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi Roman,

You are a bit in the same airplane as me. Second injections did nothing.
      As this drug has best chances within onset of T 3months. Beyond that stage i think its effect is questionable.

Don't worry. Start TRT.

Best Robb

5. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      TRT ? Try to Ridicule your Time?

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      TRT = Tinnitus Retraining Therapy

7. TJ KC

TJ KC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      My onset was less than 2 months ago, so I'm strongly considering.

however as I see it:

1) Nobody on here has mentioned stellar results. Maybe they're all just so free and clear they'd rather not be on a tinnitus forum anymore.

2) Chance of placebo, ear full of liquid multiple times, and multiple tympanic holes is scary, no matter what the statistics say. The reason I got into this predicament to begin with is my Eustachian tubes not releasing pressure, what if I go on a flight with the placebo gummed up in there and it gets worse?

3) Has anyone established whether or not there's a statistical significance with use of the drug vs spontaneous recovery?

8. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      1) I've had results, I do believe the 2nd round helped me (reduced the perceived loudness by around 40% within 1 week).... Did it cure... No
      2) Valid concern, the placebo/medicine should be fully absorbed 2 weeks after injections... Can you wait that long after having them?
      3) I don't know

• Like Like x 1
    9. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      Did you have good and bad days before the therapy? Could it be possible this is placebo percentage? Don't get me wrong, I hope you get better but I also hope if one of the next days your T volume rises, you will tell us about it. Let's hope you have a defended improvement and it stays that way.

• Like Like x 1
    10. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

Its about time I updated. I got my first AM-101 injections a little more than two weeks ago.
      At about two weeks I would say my T was back to what it was before injections. From the people ive communicated with, they all have noticed a spike. They all said it went down.

When I started AM-101 I was about a 3. Now I am sometimes a 2(it seems to be in the mornings), but still a 3. My hope is in a reddit post about acoustic trauma (gunshot) like me, who said his faded completely away after a month+ time after the drug. Thats if I got the real thing.

As for my hearing, its "normal" but I do have high frequency hearing loss, and a "notch" at 4000hz but its still in the "normal" range. My T tone from doing matching myself is 4000hz. Putting 1 and 2 together, looks like that notch is causing my T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. TJ KC

TJ KC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Where is this reddit thread? This forum seems to be very inactive in its discussion of AM-101

12. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      If your tinnitus is a 3 why did you need AM-101? Seems a tad extreme?

14. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

Because I want it to be a 0.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    15. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      I go Tuesday for my final checkup for 2nd round and get my injections for the 3rd round.... I'll update as always on progress.

I get them 3 days in a row, so T-Th unless I have the temporary catastrophic hearing loss again.

16. TJ KC

TJ KC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015
      Thanks.

Very much want more feedback like @grandfunk1 on whether or not it worked for them...

I can't tell whether or not mine will heal over the next year naturally or if I should go for the experimental treatment..

17. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

My study doctor told me that he thinks the drug would not have an affect on any natural healing that would happen. Believe me i asked many times. I trust him, he said the only worry he had was if the hole in the ear drum doesnt close which hasnt ever happened. Hes in research. He performed the gene therepy procedure. Its best to get started as soon as possible. I got my injections right after 1 month of onset, so when i forsure get the drug in the ampact trials itll be only about 4 months from onset.

18. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

A side bonus would be the free hotels/gas money/spending money for doing the trial. Its given me alittle bit of a vacation every time i go for a study visit.

Also of course helping with research and future T suffers feels good. Fuck tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
    19. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      The 4000 Hz tone is probably causing the dip in your hearing because the t signal interferes with your overall hearing. So in other words you have it backwards. Good luck with the trials mate. much love.
      SS

20. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

That could be it. Didn't think of that. It is hard to hear some tones in the audiogram because of the eeeeeeeeee going on in my ear.

Thank you, ill probably be having my eardrum pierced a total of 12 times before im done.. Yay..

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      OddV what was the schedule for the second rounds of injection, were the visits post injection the same as the first? 10 days, 30 days and 90 days?

22. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @papu yes, the visit cycle is the same.

23. papu
      Chatty

papu Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks, will start the trial soon (first set of injections). I will be happy to share my experience in the forum as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 1
    24. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Take a stress ball and pillow.. Look forward to hearing about your progress

25. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      3rd round, 1st injection... No different than all the others... Getting to be old hat now. Had drainage last night, not as muffled as the last go around. About the same in terms of tenderness.... Almost fell asleep during my 30 minute wait.

• Informative Informative x 2
    26. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Thanks for continuing to share your experience with TinnitusTalk. I believe you are one of the very few who has stayed with the board and reported on your progress through all the stages: the trial itself, 1st round with AM-101, and 2nd round with AM-101, if I understand you correctly.

Although I could be mistaken, the willingness to provide post-trial injections also proves Auris Medical's commitment to the patients of the trial as they - Auris Medical - are not required to provide follow-up treatment with the real drug, as far as I know (and also represents a not insignificant cost burden to Auris Medical). Question of mine in this respect: do you still do any self-reporting to the doctors in terms of improvements you experience (I wonder as the treatment is no longer blinded, of course, and hence has little "official relevance" I would imagine)?

Thanks for your insights!

27. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @attheedgeofscience, That's correct...

TACTT2 was the "official" blinded trial - I'm about 90% convinced I got the placebo in this trial due to several observations that I've made regarding my reaction to the injections, the substance itself, and also reverse engineering the results from TACCT1 and feeding my own results into the model.

I'm now on AMPACT1, which is the companion trial, and I just did the 4th injection yesterday, 7th injection in total(start of second round on this trial). It's basically a safety study IMO while providing potential benefit to the patient.

Now that we have the terms above defined. On TACTT2 I had to report daily my loudest and annoyance via the electronic diary. During each follow up exam, I had to do two longer electronic surveys, one of which was PGIS.

On AMPACT1, I do not have to do the daily report, but during the follow up exams, I do have to do the longer electronic surveys. They ask questions, such as, over that past two weeks, has the pitch of your tinnitus changed, the loudness changed, has it affected your life, work, ability to concentrate, etc, etc. so they are still capturing information.

Also, I'm very very tired of having hearing tests.

• Informative Informative x 4
    28. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      haha...! :)

One further question, if I may. I have myself attempted to get treated with AM-101 and OTO-311 off-trial via an ENT surgeon who is part of the AM-101 trial here in Germany (I am Danish, and hence not allowed to participate in the official trial). When I went to see the doctor in person a year after my initial visit, I was surprised to learn that he had only treated two patients during that entire time period. The ENT surgeon could therefore not provide much insight in terms of efficacy as he only had two cases to go on (which of course are blinded to him as well, but still). I wonder if you have any impression as to whether the doctors treating you are 'more busy' and if so, do they have any gut-feeling as to efficacy of AM-101 (e.g. have they had any of the trial patients saying they have had a total elimination of their tinnitus, for instance)?

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    29. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      @attheedgeofscience as of right now, I'm the only individual that made it through the screening and onto the trial at my trial site. They've had a couple of people that got close but DQ'd for some reason or another.

They do share the # of enrollees with me, sounds like Auris is at about 50% of goal for TACCT2 right now (that info is about a month old though).

30. TJ KC

TJ KC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2015

I asked the head of the U.S. trial that same question, and he said it's too early to say yadda yadda but that it shows some promise .. I couldn't get more than the stock, press-friendly answer