Amino Acids Make Ringing Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by meeb, Dec 22, 2017.

1. meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud clubs initially, now louder due to noise & vibrations.
      I started drinking protein shakes and they contain a lot of amino acids, my tinnitus started ringing more after drinking it but it might be a coincidence as my tinnitus goes from bad to worse to bad weekly.

313gbib.jpg
      I take 2 scoops in one drink daily.

2. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Brand? And what does the ingredients list look like?

3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Is it Mutant Mass? I looked at the ingredient list on their website and noticed it has sucralose. One of the doctors I see says that artificial sweeteners aggravate tinnitus. My tinnitus fluctuates a lot too, and unfortunately I find that on certain days any food (especially sugar) spikes it, but only temporarily. I'm wondering if it's not so much the food itself as the metabolic processes going on when we eat.

4. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If that's the case (even if it's not honestly), I would highly recommend OP checking labdoor.com for future supplement purchases. It's free to join (you can view basic reports without registering, might as well sign up for free and get the full test results though) and offers full lab panels (safety, value, potency, label accuracy, etc) on a large variety of different supplements, I've been using it for years, awesome resource. This looks like it would be perfect (super simple ingredients list and highly rated) https://labdoor.com/review/myprotein-impact-whey-isolate

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your help guys, I have posted a link to the ingredients in my original post which I can see so not sure why some are asking me about ingredients lol, it says Mutant Mass in the picture too. I will stop drinking it for a few days and see what happens.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      meeb
      Sad

meeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Apparently aspartic acid and phenylalanine are ingredients of an artificial sweetener called aspartame (these two ingredients are in mutant mass).

Then I read this and similar finds....

"Of the artificial sweeteners, Aspartame is among the worst. It damages insulin sensitivity more than refined sugar does. It is also among the most common, used in numerous low-calorie drinks and processed foods.

Aspartame is also ototoxic. It damages hearing and causes or worsens tinnitus. (See our previous article, Neurotoxins and Tinnitus.

An excitatory neurotransmitter, Aspartame also excites brain neurons and increases levels of electrical activity in the brain and auditory cortex. This eventually destroys the neurons and leads directly to hearing loss and tinnitus."

This is worrying, I hope I haven't made any permanent damage if this is the case, I went through a whole 6.8kg sack before, I noticed my tinnitus fade slightly when I finished it but after ordering a different flavour and taking it for a week the ringing has gotten worse and it usually settles with time off work and it didn't this time when drinking the new flavour.

7. Zita

Zita Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May20th 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fell on face onto tarmac
      Aspartame definitely affects my T!
      I find I have to eat simple natural foods, even red wine sets me off (though it is temporary).
      Cheese also heightens it!
      But on the upside. Vit B12 spray and Pineapple lowers it!
      Mine fluctuates by the hour and drives me potty so have done lots of investigations into food and drink.
      Has anyone tried CBD would love to know any results?

8. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There's a pretty large thread on CBD in the Research section of the forum under alternative treatments... Unfortunately it doesn't look too promising.

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

Id put my money on the glutamine your shake contains. When metabolised, it will either be broken down to gaba ( calming neurotransmitter) or glutamic acid ( excitatory neurotransmitter).

there is no way of knowing which metabolic direction it will go for you, but if it really bothers you, just avoid it

the same thing happens to me when i drink bone broth...also similar situation with foods containing msg.

• Helpful Helpful x 1