Antidepressants, Take 2

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by G.R., Feb 10, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. G.R.

G.R. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Hi again, Dr. Nagler,

I was a bit confused by your reply. Are you equating the decision to begin taking a long-term psychotropic drug with deciding to do everyday life things like drink coffee, see a concert, or eat salty food? I was NOT implying we should avoid all things in life that could possibly increase the tinnitus temporarily; I was asking about making a decision to take a powerful drug that many people (on this forum and in many other places) say has PERMANENTLY worsened their tinnitus and/or added new sounds to it. By equating this decision with minor, everyday decisions like food choices, are you saying we should disregard the experiences of these posters?

Thanks,
      G.R.

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I am saying that if you conduct your life in a manner such that you will not accept "even a tiny risk of worsening the tinnitus permanently" (which is how you phrased your original question), then you might as well put yourself in a permanent cocoon - because there are countless things encountered every day that present that potential. For instance, are you never going to enter a building with a fire alarm? Numerous people have posted about their permanent tinnitus resulting from a fire alarm.

More to the point of your question, medical decisions are personal decisions. If you will not accept "even a tiny risk," then if even one person posted about having developed permanent tinnitus as the result of taking an antidepressant, I guess I would never ever under any circumstances take an antidepressant!

Me? I think taking antidepressants when indicated is a totally acceptable risk. But the decision is yours, not mine!

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 3