Anybody Else Hear Higher Pitch Frequencies That Other People Don't?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zeneth, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      So today I was at a family get together with my cousins and what not. We decided to turn on an old NES (a very old Nintendo gaming console).

I could hear a really high pitched sound, I instantly covered my ears to make sure it wasn't my tinnitus and it wasn't. Nobody else seemed to hear this sound, and it was definitely the NES. Also in the past whenever I've gone to the audiologist there's a room with a really high pitched frequency that nobody else seems to hear either.

My theory is that I have high frequency hearing loss and it's a form of hyperacusis in those frequencies allowing me to hear it.

2. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      The noise that you heard was probably coil whine.
      Coil Whine Explanation & Demonstration...

Recently I showed my friends and relatives the pitch of the noise that I hear and most of them couldn't hear past 12000 hz. I did an extended audiogram up to 16000 hz today and I don't have high frequency hearing loss.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Idk why I never got a notification for this, anyways. It didn't sound like that, it was just an extremely high pitch tone.
      My cousins are the same age as me (15, 16, etc) and they have perfectly healthy hearing. So I found it weird that I could hear this (kind of ear piercing) high pitch tonal sound, and they couldn't.