Anyone Else Able to Stop Pulsatile Tinnitus by Plugging Ear(s)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nicole626, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Nicole626

Nicole626 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I have a pulsing in my ear that has been going on for a little over 2 weeks. It is most noticeable at night when lying down but will randomly appear throughout the day.

I am able to make it disappear by plugging my ear (either by putting pressure on it or physically putting finger in ear) but it will come back after plug is released.

Everything I have read on pulsatile tinnitus thus far seems to say it is vascular in origin.

So I would assume plugging my ear should make the pulsing louder if it was true pulsatile tinnitus?

I am sorry if this seems like a dumb post. I am just trying to figure out what’s going on while I wait for an ENT appointment.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      I get pulsatile tinnitus once in awhile when my right ear feels plugged up. Once it opens up I don't get it anymore.

3. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah, I just developed pulsatile tinnitus on top of all my other ear issues. I just read your post and mine quiets down when my ear is plugged. I wonder why that is.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

@Padraigh Griffin said Tenotomy got rid of his pulsatile tinnitus, so possibly your muscle relaxes when you plug your ear or something and it’s middle ear related. Just a guess.

5. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah could be because I definitely have middle ear stuff going on too.

6. David Vinson

David Vinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have a pulsing in my ear (more whooshing) that starts in the evening around bedtime. It is pretty bad and annoying until I get to sleep. I can make it stop by putting a finger in my ear, but it does start again after finger is removed from ear. Usually when I wake up, it has stopped.

I agree with you that a vascular issue should make the noise louder if you've blocked out other background noise? I hope the ENT is able to help you. I see one this Friday for the first time.

7. Rockman

Rockman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, allergy
      My one ear would occasionally get a pulsating feeling. I noticed over time that it has opened up and I don't get it as often.

8. Jim1234

Jim1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL
      Did either of you get an answer from your ENT on this? I have exactly the same problem.

9. David Vinson

David Vinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, my ENT evaluated my ears and cleaned my ear canals in outer ear. Said pulsatile tinnitus is very common as there are so many veins/arteries around your ears. Didn't seem concerned at all since I don't have any other symptoms like dizziness, fatigue, etc. Said he's ordered so many imaging tests over the years that have revealed nothing. And, oddly enough, over the past few days I've not had any whooshing even when room very quiet at night. I still believe mine has some origin in either my seasonal allergies or stress/anxiety.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nicole626

Nicole626 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      I went to the ENT and was told I had fluid in my middle ear. I am on Nasacort and Sudafed and the sound has decreased tremendously. I am having my sinuses opened in a couple weeks which should help more. Apparently I have a bunch of inflammation that is making it hard for my Eustachian tube to function as it should. Try some Sudafed (the real deal from behind the pharmacy counter) and nasal spray. My bet is middle ear if you can stop it by putting finger in ear!

• Winner Winner x 1