Anyone Else's Tinnitus Get Very Loud When You Turn Running Water Off?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Davey126, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Davey126

Davey126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Anyone else’s tinnitus seem to get very loud when you turn running water off? When I brush my teeth or do dishes the running water masks my tinnitus, but once I shut it off it gets very loud then subsides back to baseline. I notice this happens with other noises once exposed.

I do have a mild form of hyperacusis as well, maybe it’s that? Thank you!

2. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I experience this with some tones. A rapid drop in ambient sound volume, just like turning the running faucet off, makes the tone to appear somewhat more noticeable for a few seconds. I don't know if there's scientific explanation for this. Maybe it's just that the auditory system needs some time to adjust to the reduced sound level. Just like going from dark room to sunglight. It takes couple of seconds for eyes to adjust to the brighter environment.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    3. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      My tinnitus does gradually shoot up the longer I am exposed to sounds like running water, air conditioning, etc. But it takes some time for it to go back down again.

4. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      In the beginning, jumping in the shower made my T stop momentarily or cleaning with my hands or feet soaked. Just recently (doing detox for mercury ) I found that adding pine needle tips to my bath, either fresh or boiled up a short time and the water added to the bath water, stops my tinnitus almost instantaneously. And, yeah if I take a shower now, instead of a bath without some sort of detox stuff added to the water, I notice my T gets louder. If I use rain water or rinse off at the lake, this doesn't happen. I found that spritzing after showering with water mixed with acetic acid (vinegar) helps a little.

Are you on a public water supply, too?

• Like Like x 1
    5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      #ReactiveTinnuts

yeah I got the same problem it freakin sucks

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Davey126,

Just the opposite for me. Running water makes my t take off EEEEeeeeeeeeee. The moment I stop it, the t goes back to baseline--instantly. I just got done doing a project in the kitchen with heavy duty ear muffs on. Such is life these days--at least I can stand in the kitchen and do things.
      @Laurie1961, very interesting post. Where in the world did you get that idea from about the pine needles? (inquiring minds want to know). :) Your thinking and creative approach to trying to figure out little things to help tinnitus seem similar to mine. Makes me think you might just be interested in A POST (fairly lengthy) I made just this morning. -- Definitely alternative!

All the Best!

7. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Yes running water aggravates mine and also at times a sizzling frying pan and plastic bags rustling o_O

8. Laurie1961
      No Mood

Laurie1961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dental work
      A couple years ago, I was gardening and the bugs were so bad I was covered with bites. Itching them in my sleep made them bleed--fearing infection I used pine to soothe itchy skin in a bath. It cured the itch, tinnitus for a while and acted as an insect repellent all the next day.

Late last year my pink hands and feet-now had red toes and fingers. It appears similar to a symptom of mercury toxicity, formerly and aptly called Pinks. I also had a rash on my sternum that itched and I soothed it with the pine bath mostly because it was the only plant available in this frozen tundra I call home. (after reading mercury has been in skin care products and soaps, I no longer buy my own poison.)

Again, every bath makes the tinnitus stop for a while.

I wanted to know why this worked too. Pines are used for soil remediation for Pb and Hg is all I have come with.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Same here, but for me the even louder tinnitus subsides once the aggravating noise stops. It’s as if my T tries to complete with certain sounds. Plastic bags are awful. On the plus side, I’ve switched to using more environmentally friendly reusable cloth bags when I shop.