Anyone Has Accidentally Turned on Headphones Loud?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Petloy, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Last night I wanted to listen to cricket sounds before sleeping and I absentmindedly put my in ear buds first without checking the volume, when I turned the App on it was quite loud (i was able to turn it off in a second or two) My T is spiking now...just want to know if anybody had a similar experience? Any advice?

2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yup, your spike is more due to your anxiety about potential damage then actual damage. We are exposed to unintended loud sounds almost daily. Your spike should return to baseline eventually.

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Thanks Erik...

4. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I have had similar things happen to me few times in the past.

As far as I know, no headphones are able to produce a sound so loud it would INSTANTLY damage your hearing. Gunfire, explosions, yes. But no headphones. Give it some time to heal and you will get better :)

• Like Like x 1
    5. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I pulled an empty box off a high shelf today without realising that there was a plastic bag on top full of plastic ad card stands (they don't weigh very much!) - the bag fell on my head and for about 2 hours afterwards I was petrified that this would somehow affect my T. It didn't... thank goodness, but I suppose we're all naturally nervous of this kind of thing now. If we don't know what causes it and nobody knows how to fix it then who knows what will make it worse :cautious:

• Like Like x 1
    6. Chadrico

Chadrico Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      I just made this mistake last night. Plugged in earphones without checking volume. I had no idea how loud a bird and rain shower could be. I immediately threw off my headphones but am now concerned that I caused further damage. Ears feel a little more numb than usual.

7. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      It is probably due to anxiety than damage; I would not have thought that your hearing could be damaged by a second of loud noise. If you had left them in then maybe, but you took them straight out. Even if it has caused a spike, I would have thought it would calm down again.

I think we are all guilty of being overly-anxious. I was concerned that I had been yawning too much (I have yawned a lot because I feel like I need to clear my ears). Try not to worry, I am sure you will be fine.

8. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      you're having preemptive fear, relax :)