Anyone Here on Crestor (Statin) Have Issues with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Patch101, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Patch101
      Grumpy

Patch101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise & Antibiotic mix, yay
      Developed bad tinnitus after a round of Antiboitics for 5 days. Anyways, long story short I'm 37 and my cholesterol isn't great (genetic, both parents had it high, both fit/eat well/exercise/slim. Dad had an attack at 55) and the last 6 months of being on a Fenofibrate hasn't worked well enough. I'm now adding and starting on 10mg Crestor. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

I have had some pressure around the ears and I find that its either spiked and/or I'm paying attention to it because of the new meds. Kinda feel cornered by needing to take this vs heart attack .... :(

2. IaninTSV

IaninTSV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noisy work situation possibly
      Hello

I have taken a statin for at least 10 years initially LIPITOR and more recently CRESTOR for the last 6 months .

Did the the change to Crestor make any difference to my tinnitus I don't believe that it has I did not notice any spike in the noise levels with the change of statin.

I have done a lot of reading to see if there is any association with taking a statin and tinnitus I wasn't able to find any link.

I am not convinced that statins are good for you unless you have had heart issues but like you I have a family history and my doctor wants me to continue. !!!

For me tinnitus changes dramatically with the noise levels around me loud venues like a restaurant or cafe are now the major locations I try and avoid.

Kind regards

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patch101
      Grumpy

Patch101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your input.

I also believe that Statins are bad for you, but I also feel that I don't have much choice. The only other options that are available are the new injectable types like Rapatha (1x a month). They are inhibitors ... but not a ton of knowledge around long term effects since so new, and I think ... expensive.

I'm about 5 days into Crestor right now but today I suffered some crazy dizziness as well shortly after taking it. If that keeps up then I might have to try something different. I might also cut myself back to 5mg as well.

4. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      For what its worth, I'm on 10 mg Atorvastatin (generic formulation of Pfizer’s Lipitor)
      and I have absolutely no side effects

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      I think you SHOULD look up the side effects of statin before you take it

6. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      Yes, people react differently to different statins.
      I was on Zocor for a week and had bad leg pains, I was switched to generic Lipitor and have had zero problems.

7. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      What most don't understand is the cholesterol good or bad. Statin is a drug to rid of bad and lower the levels. What they don't tell is what statin can do one is stiff joints and aching muscles. But the most important is that our brain is cholesterol. When that is taken statin,the result is memory loss a slow process.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Patch101
      Grumpy

Patch101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So update, I've decided to stop taking it

I started getting really bad dizzy spells along with gross level of nausea. It was like I was walking around 3 or 4 beers deep. Pressure on the top of my head and down around my ears (like headphones). To add, my T has spiked, not a little either. Unsure if its going to come down but frustrating indeed. Going to wait 2 weeks, and decide what/if any step is next.

I'm still taking whats called a fenofibrate since its done a decent job. My total Cholesterol are now at a 6.42, but my Triglycerdides are down by 1/2 now at 2.91 .... ldl at 4.15 (previously unreadable). By Canada standards btw.