Applying to Jobs: When Should I Disclose My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Enrique, Aug 4, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Enrique
      Dreaming

Enrique Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20/2014
      Hello everyone,

I am applying to jobs and i was wondering when it would be a good time to disclose my hearing loss (mild to moderate in left, mild in right) and my tinnitus. The job I am applying requires to be in an office half the time and the other half out on the field. Should I let them know on my application? During the interview? After I have been given the job? FYI my tinnitus is an 8 out of 10 average in my left ear where it is pretty much unmaskable unless I'm in the shower. Right ear seems like a 4 out of 10.

Thank you

2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      I have not the best advices for those situations, but i read somewhere that if you're hearing loss is noticeable for someone ( if you should make people repeat or if they have to be right in front of you to talk, it's honest to say it to your employer because he need to be aware of your capacities.

But it's you who decide! I'm only a student.

3. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Depending on the employer you might have to do a physical test where they often test for hearing loss.

Unless it can stop you from doing your job properly or if your hearing loss might put yourself or your co-workers in danger (like not hearing people shouting warnings etc...) then I wouldn't disclose it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Yep, this 100%.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree with the above. I wouldn't disclose the hearing loss, unless it impacts the job you're doing.

6. Karl28
      Wishful

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      After.