Are the EarDial Earplugs Good for a Concert?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vaclav, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Vaclav
      Lurking

Vaclav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hello all. I recently bought earplugs called EarDial. https://www.amazon.com/EarDial-Ear-Plugs-Comfortable-High-Fidelity/dp/B00P2NTVPA. They have SNR 20 and NNR 11. Do you think that they will protect my ears? I really like them, because they are pretty invisible. The concert is going to be outdoors, so I can stand far from the speakers all the time.

Also, can somebody please explain the SNR and NRR thing to me? And how many dB are too much?

2. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I have them and they reduce noise not very good. For loud stuff I would always use the best foam earplugs you can find (3M 1100 or even something higher rated) and insert them deeply.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I use 33 dB NRR foam plugs at concerts, minimum, and I personally would not mess around with silicone plugs or basically anything short of either 33 dB foam plugs or expensive, custom-fitted musicians plugs with filters that get to close to the same 33 dB noise reduction.

I use 12 dB and 20 dB plugs a lot for routine stuff like vacuuming, but I absolutely would not trust them for loud stuff like a concert.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vaclav
      Lurking

Vaclav Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Thanks for the answers. And what about the dB levels, how much is too much?

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Everyone is different on what their tolerances are but generally any noise sustained over 85db can damage hearing

• Useful Useful x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Those earplugs are better than nothing, but not really adequate for a loud concert. Agree that foam earplugs are better for a loud exposure as you describe.

@linearb I use the foam earplugs for vacuuming too. My vacuum is in the mid 80's for db's, and can go even higher in the hallways, corners and stairwells due to reverberation effects.

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That makes sense. I recently got a Shark vacuum refurbished for $60, and it's the quietest one I've ever had -- I still tend to use at least dubs 12db filters, but it's quiet enough that I doubt I need them.

It helps that our house is solid wood beam construction (relatively poor sound insulation) and the main room I vacuum has a sloped ceiling that's 10' or more at the highest point.