Article: I Gave My Ears to Rock and Roll

Discussion in 'Support' started by DudeMannDude, Jan 22, 2016.

1. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's an interesting perspective; the author clearly has pretty severe noise-induced hearing loss and tinnitus, and has no regrets about it.

Think about that.

It reminds me of this quote from the (generally an asshole) frontman from Oasis:

• Like Like x 1
    3. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Interesting link, thanks @DudeMannDude:

Looks like this guy, Jon Fine, has written a book: "Your Band Sucks: What I Saw at Indie Rock's Failed Revolution (But Can No Longer Hear)."
      http://www.amazon.com/Your-Band-Suc...=UTF8&qid=1453479438&sr=1-1&keywords=jon+fine

I've heard other rock-n-roller say the same stuff as the guy @linearb quotes. Jon Fine seems to come from the same camp. They knew the risks, they didn't care. Seems that hard rock attracts a lot of musicians who indulge in unsafe behaviors, despite knowing the risks: substance abuse, unsafe sex, etc. If that's their choice, so be it. Maybe that's why they are at peace with their tinnitus. Although some musicians certainly are not, Pete Townsend and guitarist Al Di Meola among them.

I feel, though, for people who didn't know about tinnitus and the risks. That's why we need more public awareness. If I would have known an airplane flight could cause baraotrauma and lead to tinnitus if you fly with a sinus infection, I would have postponed my vacation.

4. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I bet if he would have severe hyperacusis and catastrophic tinnitus he would speak differently, there was a guy who could not even speak because the sound of his own voice would hurt his ears, there was a woman he could not even stand the soft sound of a plastic bag crisping, it did not end well for them, "proud of it", what an asshole.

Tinnitus is not something only the cool kids have, it is not something to boast about. Sticking your head in a woofer to feel the bass is not cool, it's stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I absolutely agree that Liam Gallagher is an asshole; fortunately, so does just about everyone in the world.

My point was just that I think it's interesting how completely varied the reactions to all of this is.

In the case of the person who wrote the article above: I don't think he comes across like an asshole, at all. I read that as saying "I was young and dumb and completely abused my ears, and there is a price I am paying for that, but I don't regret it because the memories I have from having lived that life outweigh the difficulties I'm experiencing now". Yes, of course that is spoken from the position of relative privilege in that the problems he has are not so severe as to completely incapacitate him (and some musicians are not so lucky!) -- but -- I write this paragraph from the relative privilege of my own condition, I am not prevented from leading a basically normal life with my current level of hearing disability, and yet at times I have been not only regretful, but despondent about my place in life.

So, I just think the initial article here is a fascinating read. I am sorry to have derailed that thought a little bit with an edgy quote from Mr. Liam "I'm such an asshole that my own brother could not stand to work with me, even for millions of dollars" Gallagher.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I believe Liam said this particular thing because his brother has tinnitus as well and he sought medical help for it, but it is an insensitive thing to say.

I can not count the amount of times where I have been told to "just not listen to it" , or former collegues who had very mild tinnitus and looked strange at me for having such a hard time with it.

There are so many different dimension to this thing.

One of the positive things is that my family is now more cautious about noise since I have this condition, and if they forget I will make sure to let them remember what it can do.

7. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      It's the cost of doing business for some.