Auditory Deprivation as a Cure

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by tomm, Dec 14, 2014.

1. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      There are research papers that talk about how a lack of input from a damaged cochlear will cause the brain to remap and start activating for nearby frequencies, giving you T.

If this is the case, might it be possible for long term auditory deprivation, where you turn down the input to a much larger portion of frequencies by using constant hearing protection or sedating the auditory nerve, to cause remapping that either corrects your existing T, or gives you different T that you can then 'fix' by adding the incoming signals back?

The latter would be the reverse of what we are trying to accomplish with stem cells. Instead of repairing the damaged ear and hoping the new inputs even out the brain's broken response to sound, we instead make 'fake' damage and then fix it completely by taking out the ear plugs or stopping sedation of the auditory nerve.

Auditory nerve sedation would probably not last very long and ear plugs will only stop high frequencies. As long as you didn't crunch too many carrots though it would definitely cause a drop in input. If you wanted to get really fancy, use a noise cancelling hearing aid and shift all noise down a few octaves. Everyone sounds like Barry White but you get to have a conversation with people. For those people with not just high frequency T, maybe you could notch all incoming noise around your tone(s).

As a meaningless sweetener, @RaZaH has an in-depth study of 1, where someone wearing hearing protection constantly for 3 years experienced relief. So a few more of those and we'll have a Nobel prize (y)

I did used to go out on Saturday nights you know :joyful:

@Dr. Nagler , did you hear anything back from the people you were going to speak to in your auditory sedation question?

• Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No, No and probably double no!

Soon after getting T, I started wearing ear plugs 24/7 for probably 8 to 10 years, yes even sleeping with them in and didn't do a dam thing for me except ease my paranoia of doing further harm to them!

24 years later and my T is worse now than then, so I don't think that research is going to go very far.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excellent RichL, you have doubled the amount of data we have in this study!

Best of three and we can start predicting trends! :ROFL:

I'm sorry to hear it's got worse. An obvious more recent cause?

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Nice try tomm :LOL: So you wanna fix T by adding more T.

• Like Like x 1
    5. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      :LOL:

Because of my reliance on ear plugs my sound tolerance level has plummeted and in March of this year I, (stupidly as it turned out), got my ears suctioned, big mistake and now I'm paying for it!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Any change in the T at all over all those years before suction?

7. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Not really, it may have changed very slightly but nothing that really bothered me too much!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Is asked this question again to @Dr.Charlie (how do I create this @ active link?), maybe he can make (or I) can make his answer public.

9. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Like this:
      @Dr. Charlie

We can also tag @Dr. Nagler again. Maybe he missed or forgot about Tomm's question.