Awaiting MRI Scan for Pulsatile Tinnitus, Experiencing Other Symptoms

Discussion in 'Support' started by hodder, Jan 22, 2015.

1. hodder

hodder Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Hi,

I am new to the forum and just wanted some advice/to hear about other people's experiences.

I thought I had what a doctor described to me as a blocked eustachian tube for 2 years and just tried the remedies nurses/doctors suggested such as inhaling vix, blowing into nose etc and then I moved to a different GP surgery I described to my new doctor the symptoms: hearing my own heart beat in my ear. He referred me to the ENT consultant and 6 long weeks later I had a 2 minute appointment with my consultant who referred me to an MRI as soon as I sat down. Not forgetting him telling me of course that the MRI was to look for any tumours that could be causing it.

So I am now awaiting my MRI scan which is on Valentines Day no less, and am petrified at the thought of what could be causing it after far too much time Googling the causes. I am also experiencing headaches and vomiting in the past few weeks but unsure as whether I am just being paranoid and my anxiety is causing it.

I am a very nervous person about medical issues as last year I had a 5cm benign tumour removed from my thyroid and it took so long to find out it was benign it was such a horrible experience. I am trying to be much calmer in this situation.

So basically what I would like to know is how often is pulsatile tinnitus a symptom of a serious issue, has anyone else had similar experiences and what are the most realistic possible outcomes?

I would appreciate any feedback.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Hodder,

I'm glad your doctor recognized that you have pulsatile tinnitus and ordered an MRI for you. That is actually a good thing, because you have found a doctor who understands that pulsatile tinnitus is a symptom to be checked out. From what I've heard, most cases of pulsatile tinnitus are not serious, and it is difficult to determine what the cause might be. I have pulsatile tinnitus, too, so I understand your concerns.

Did you know that a thyroid condition can actually cause PT? Usually it is hyperthyroid, rather than hypothyroid, that causes this symptom, but your surgery and the ups and downs associated with that might have brought it on, or made it worse.

Here is a link to some information about pulsatile tinnitus that may address your concerns:
      http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/hearing/tinnitus/pulsatile.html

I have an underactive thyroid, too, and have also had surgery, many years ago, to remove a benign nodule on the gland. I've had both hissing tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus for 4 1/2 years now. I have had an MRI and MRA with contrast, plus a CT scan of the temporal bone and a Doppler of my carotid arteries. So far, no cause has been found. Mine started immediately after taking blood pressure meds for the first time, so I believe mine has something to do with that.

I wish you good luck with the MRI. This test is usually done just to rule out any problems when someone presents with pulsatile tinnitus. Please don't worry; I'm sure things will be fine! I'll be interested to hear the results of your test, and hope you'll post again to let us know.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Another thing to consider. I noticed you said you've been suffering with headaches. Some people with pulsatile tinnitus have a condition called IIH (or benign intracranial hypertension). You could Google that, and look up the symptoms to see if they pertain to you.

• Like Like x 1