Been Prescribed Citaopram/Celexo — Will This Make My Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by hannahdoubleyou, Sep 11, 2017.

1. hannahdoubleyou

hannahdoubleyou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (I think)
      Hi all,

Been stalking this forum since my tinnitus started (or started bothering me, who knows) a month ago after a particularly loud gig. I already had GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) so as you can imagine, I've not taken to this well. About a week after it started I had a positive couple of weeks where I was keeping busy and trying not to let the sound bother me, but the past few days it just feels like my optimism has worn out and I'm tired of running away from silence and the sound.

I know my anxious/depressive tendencies are causing this so I went to the Drs who prescribed me with Citalopram (or Celaxo as it is sometimes called). I've took one but I'm afraid to carry on after reading online that it is potentially ototoxic?

Is this just myth/overprecaution, does anyone have any experiences with this? Does anyone recommend any safer antidepressants/SSRIs to try that haven't been linked to tinnitus at all?

Thanks in advance,

Hannah

2. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Citalopram is not highly ototoxic. Ototoxicity is a possible side effect but only a few people will experience it.

You don't normally start with large doses of citalopram, your current prescription should be around 10 mg. This is a small dose and therefore even more unlikely to cause ototoxicity. It's of course entirely up to you if you want to continue. But it can help, if you're not coping.

I've used citalopram at two different times in my life and up to 40 mg. It never had an effect on my T.

3. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Its possible but there is no way for sure any of us would know. If you take it, perhaps you could ask the doctor if you can try a small amount first. Maybe break the pill in quarters or halves.