Benadryl Reduces My Ear Ringing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jmccombs82, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jmccombs82

jmccombs82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 29, 2013 at 10AM
      Does anyone find that this helps? I take 1 every 5-6 hours and find that it reduces it dramatically. The ENT does not seem to think this should help...but it does.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    2. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      I think that the same thing doesn't work for everyone, I'm glad you found something. Seems like a multitude of things you can try and I'm afraid I'll just run out of steam and give up. Right now I'm working on my first bottle of the Arches Tinnitus formula but I'm skeptical that it'll work since some have said it didn't do a thing for them. Hey, if the Benadryl helps, go for it. I've never tried that for T.

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      This makes sense on some level. Benadryl contains Diphenhydramine which makes you drowsy and because of it you may also sleep better. Sleeping better alone can help calm the T. If you are taking it while awake and it lowers T, not sure then. It does slow you down and make you drowsy so maybe that lowers your T perception. IDK.

As far as Benadryl goes, I have also heard the opposite, those who get an increase in T from taking it.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hmmm interesting, thanks.... May give it a try.

5. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      So really everyone just needs to keep trying different things because basically what helps one person will make it worse for another. What a pain. :sour:

6. This has worked for me when I've had an attack

7. Worzel Gummidge

Worzel Gummidge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I have also been taking Diphenhydramine / Benadryl the last couple of weeks and have found that my tinnitus has dramatically gone down in volume, mostly to the point that I can hardly hear it. I take 12.5 mg, 25 mg or maximum 50 mg, depending on the severity. It helps me to sleep and it seems the longer that I sleep (7 or 8 hours or more), the less pronounced the tinnitus is.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      the old school antihistamines are "dirty drugs" in that they affect a ton of receptors -- the typical "antihistamine" effects relate to their action on cholinergic receptors, but diphenhydramine specifically also exerts action at serotonin receptors which is not entirely dissimilar to Prozac.

So, if you want to try to ferret out what's helping you, you could:
      #1 take a newer antihistamine which does not have serotonin effects (I believe that Zyrtec probably qualifies, though I haven't looked into its pharmacokinetics too carefully)
      #2 try a drug which has the serotonin impact without the cholinergic effects (Prozac or similar)

You will be hard pressed to find a general doctor with specific knowledge or interest in this regard. A psychiatrist with a specific interest either in these classes of drugs, or sensory processing disorders (tinnitus, palinopsia, etc) would be more likely to have useful input.

It may also be that the simple act of getting restful sleep for 7-8 hours a night is what's helping you; if you struggle to do that without drugs then it may be sort of hard to pin that down, but I would imagine that if you put a dedicated 3-6 months into really getting good, useful sleep without taking anything, you may find a way to do that, at which point you'll have a better understanding of how that factors in to your T.

9. suera

suera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2010
      I'm going to Walgreens right now!

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Pedro Camargo

Pedro Camargo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2015
      Yesterday at 4pm I had some minor allergies and took 12.5mg Benadryl.

Within one hour I noticed a reduction in my T to a point it can barely be heard.

It is 6am now and the T is still very low.

• Like Like x 2
    11. HighStrung

HighStrung Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      I've had mixed results. I've taken Benadryl to help me sleep sometimes when the T is real loud, and got a different effect every time. Sometimes the T is quieter when I wake up, sometimes not. On one occasion I took it and when I woke up the T was almost silent and stayed that way most of the day. I took some last night because I've had trouble sleeping the last few days even though the T was not bad, and this morning theT was quieter but had changed pitch, but I was feeling extremely anxious, and I've read that Benadryl can aggravate anxiety for some people. I've also read that there are newer sleep aids that are safer than diphenhydramine, so I'm going to ask my neurologist about that.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Ying

Ying Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/5/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection.
      i had a tinnitus after a sinus infection. First start with ringing then lost smell and taste its been a month and a half now. Saw ent last week and said since my sinus is draining then my ringing should clear too. I noticed that my tinnitus go up when I eat salt, pepper, and fatty. The other thing is I noticed when I took wal dryl before sleep it reduces the ringing down but not sure if it's the med or not. It happened twice already. Now I can smell alittle bit my taste is back. I can breath better. I'm on my third day of not eating salt to see if the ringing will go away. This has had been a really bad nightmare for since. I really hope it goes away. I had been praying every day.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. MarkDL

MarkDL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I took Benadryl last night and I woke up with almost no ear ringing. My working theory is that my Tinittus was triggered recently by an allergic reaction. Will take Benadryl again tonight and see if it continues to help.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      The first time I took diphenhydramine I slept 5 hours and awoke for a moment and felt that my T chanched to loud high monotone sound in my head, immediately after that I fell asleep again and after more 3 hours awoke with very reduced tinnitus, I had only 5% of my T a whole day, the next day 10%, but after a week it came back. I took diphenhydramine again two times and did not feel relieved, maybe even worsening. I wonder how it affected me at first time I took it and it not help me in the other times I took it.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      A study I just read linked diphenhydramine to an increased risk of dementia. I've been taking the generic of Sleep Eze to help go to sleep at night. This concerns me because the stuff really helps me to go to sleep. A Google search will find numerous article on this subject.

I'm trying to ween myself off of that and am taking melatonin instead.

16. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: in my last message I wrote that diphenhydramine(50mg) reduced my T by 95%, and the other two times not helped. So I want correct myself, last night I took diphenhydramine for the third time and on the morning I felt that my T increased and I went on sleeping and several hours after that my T reduced by 60%.

The point that diphenhydramine increasing T at first awakening, but more reducing it if you continue sleeping and awakening second time.

Maybe I wrong, but this is what I can to conclude from 2 of 3 using this drug.

In the other way, there are people that reported that they developed T after taking diphenhydramine, so please research more information before you starting taking this drug.

Sorry for my english, its not my primary language.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is anyone else can share their experiences with diphenhydramine/Benadryl/Nytol?

I found that its a good drug for T reducing after benzo withdrawal and now want to take it again for the fourth time to reduce my T, but worried if it also can make permanent worsening instead of reducing because there are people who reported T induced after this drug.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    18. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      For benzo withdrawal, antihistamines I think increase tinnitus.
      Better get nac + vitamin c / taurine / theanine.

19. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why you think so?

One time NAC reduced my T immedly, second time increased after several hours, today I got bad spike and took it again with vitamin C and my T exploding now.

20. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Last night I took it again 50mg Nytol(diphenhydramine), 10 minutes later I started feeling disabilities in the left leg, could it cause restless legs syndrome in only 10 minutes, temporary or permanent?

I have hardly eaten anything in the past few days because of the depression, maybe I should now take a potassium or magnesium supplement because this side effect?

When I awake up my T reduced a bit, but I think it only because I slept well. I still feeling a little tickling in my legs, but maybe it's all in my head because i'm very suspicious:unsure: