Benzo in First Year

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Lisa88, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Dr. Nagler,
      Had t for 4 months, then started 1 x .5mg Lorazepam daily for 4 months, helping me to sleep and reducing my t by half. I am now currently on a 5 month taper (longer than I was on the benzo) to be completely off benzo in a couple of months. This means 9 months of daily benzo, although very low dosage, taking up my first year of t. I am 10 months into t, triggered by local anesthetic lidocaine administered at the same time as a menstrual migraine.
      First question:
      Friends whose onset were at a similar time to mine have experienced a natural fade of their t since onset in their first year. Does my being on the benzo for the first year wipe away my chances of that natural fade, my natural gaba having relied daily on the drug?
      Second question:
      Natural fade refers to decreased volume perception, not habituation. In your opinion, does this natural fade have a cut off point of a year to happen? In other words, no chance of fade or spontaneous resolution after that point? I don't see any studies on plasticity/coding of t in the brain, and time frame.
      Thank you.
      Lisa

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @Lisa88 -

I do not believe that your being on such a low lose of lorazepam for 9+ months in any way affects your chances of achieving what you are calling a "natural fade."

As far as this "one year cutoff" for spontaneous resolution of tinnitus goes, I am aware of cases wherein it has happened after two, five, and even ten years. That said, it seems to occur more frequently within the first year or two.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Stephen Nagler