Best Advice for Someone Going Through Acoustic Shock? How to Protect Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mila9828, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hey everyone!

So, I know I've posted a lot on here regarding my ear experience. I went from developing tinnitus after a mild concussion to getting hyperacusis and tinnitus after an ear cleaning.

After reading @Marceline's post about her acoustic shock following a tympanometry, I noticed her and I have the exact same symptoms. After countless appointments at the ENT (all of which have helped me NONE), I've come to the conclusion that I'm suffering from Acoustic shock. I know this because Marceline and I have the same symptoms... the pressure that doesn't equalize, as well as a reduction in hearing volume, dull sounds, not being able to sense vibrations, etc. I also noticed after reading a few posts that a lot of people have this problem too; I'm so sorry in advance because this is absolutely terrible.

I've been worrying about this for the last 5 weeks since it first started, and while I noticed improvements, I became desperate and found myself screaming and crying at the top of my lungs because the feeling was so uncomfortable. This, was a BAD idea. My own screaming/tension made things worse and now I have ear pain along with all the other symptoms.

I plan on taking care of my hearing extensively now in hopes that I recover (been on prednisone for about 2 weeks now following my screaming incident), but need help! I start school on Wednesday and I go to a pretty big school with 300 person lectures and a professor who speaks through a microphone.

Any advice on how to take care of myself so that I can hopefully heal would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. MattR

MattR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2014: Mild Hyperacusis 2019: More severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones, more recently Acoustic Shock
      Get some musicians earplugs, wear them if you feel like things are too loud, but don't wear earplugs unless you really need to. The small amount of research done on a acoustic shock suggests the symptoms are caused by the body's response to sound, activating the Tensor Tympani Muscle too much. Try not to worry too much about it, just accept it and do your best to live your life. I've seen some improvement since I began to worry less and just ignore it. Hopefully with more time I'll see continued improvement.

Look up Myriam Westcott and her research, she was very helpful to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Musician earplugs are ideal for intermittent noise exposure, that is not particularly loud, for example walking alongside a road, with traffic noise. For louder situation, there are better solutions. It took me a while to get all the right gear, but in the end it is good to have an assortment of earplugs- musician, silicone, comfort foam, and maximum foam along with ear muffs to make sure you can cover the entire spectrum of noise to be protected against.

I also agree that you should not just wear earplugs all day as that can certainly create problems, ranging from earwax impaction to hyperacusis from overuse.

• Like Like x 1
    4. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      If i were you, id take a gap year and go live somewhere really quiet. Or if you cant use earplugs or muffs always when you feel you need them. But Honestly best option would be to go home for example so you can rest and heal

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Earmuffs and / or earplugs. Earmuffs are great because they are so obvious. Sometimes it is great to draw attention to the actual fact that there is a hearing problem there, so that people can notice.

6. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Finland is a great place, not very loud I think.

7. arctic loon
      Dreaming

arctic loon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      Too loud for me unfortunately, my hyperacusis is now extremely severe :(

8. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Myriam Westscott, has a wealth of knowledge, compassion and understanding for both hyperacusis and tinnitus, she has been in the same business for many years now.

I am glad others know of her work.