Blast of Cold Water May or May Not Temporarily Help Your Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rb86, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The past few days I've been finishing my showers with a blast of cold water. I put my head in the water and lower the temp until I can't stand it. For usually about 10 seconds or so after I shut it off, I hear nothing.

This evening I took a cool shower, and lowered it until it was a little uncomfortably cold, like jumping in a pool at first. I tried to stay in a couple minutes. I finished with my shock treatment of really really cold for a few seconds or so, and turned it off.

I heard nothing for about 25 seconds afterward. Silence.

Chalk it up however you see it, but it seems to be helping. Give it a go for a few days and report back.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had a shower this morning with a cold finish and same thing.

This evening I started with a luke-warm shower, then every couple minutes I lowered the temp a notch, got used to that, lowered again, got used to it, etc etc. Got it down pretty cold, and then finished again with my head in as cold as I could stand it for a few seconds. I shut it off and counted silence for nearly a minute before my high pitched hiss set back in.

It's hard to describe because it's not completely silent, you can still tell something is there, but it's not a hiss, there's no tone. It's just like your ears "on".

3. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      I will be getting a patent for cold showers. After 10 years of testing and a 3 phase trial I will bottle the results and be rich.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Well the best part is it's not some ancient Chinese herb you need to go buy, it's basically free, on tap, at your local faucet!

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Still holding onto this theory as its still working for me. I notice I get more silence if I take a longer cold shower.

If I take a hot one and just shock myself with cold for a few seconds then I might only get 10-15 seconds of silence. A 3-5 minute cool, graduating to cold shower will give me up to a minute.

I'm interested in others trying this to see if it works for you.

6. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      I recall a guy on some health show talking about this theory which is a bit like fasting. Said something that he lies in ice and cold water in tub on occasion to shock the body for health benefits and I think for weight-loss. Cold water does nothing for my type of T. Seems just a temporary shock response? that can feel good, so nothing wrong with that.

How about brain-freeze, does that stop T for some?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      I once posted a story I found on another site about a guy claiming jumping in a cold lake stopped his longstanding tinnitus...

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I read that. Interesting for certain

9. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Could it be because he didn't come back up? ;) Wish it was that simple.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Someone on here thought it may be vagus nerve related...

11. Coffeeking

Coffeeking Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold water immersion
      Dredging up an old thread, I apologise but others may find this interesting. My tinnitus was first *triggered by* waterskiing in mid winter in the UK with no wetsuit hood. A single drunk under the surface and my ears were ringing away. Over the years it dropped off until I had an engine part explode next to my head, but again that died off over 3 years or so. Recently I went scuba diving in 11C seawater without a hood, and now have full blown ringing again.