Brown Noise — Something That Helps Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by JackieT, Sep 17, 2016.

1. JackieT

JackieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone, I am completely new here, I just wanted to share something that has been helping me. I have had a hard time finding anyone with a tinnitus problem quite like mine - it comes and goes so I only have it about 5-7 days out of the month and it lasts for hours at a time. My mom and I both experience it and we always called it ear hiccups. Neither of us ever saw a doctor for it.

Here is what I have found that REALLY helps...brown noise. I was experiencing my ear hiccups once and realized that when I ran the water in the sink, the sound stopped. It started again when I turned the water off. I tried again, same result. So I opened my "white noise" app on my phone that I use for my daughter to sleep with and flipped through sounds until I found one that helped. It was the Brown Noise noise. I hold it close to my ear and turn it up relatively loud until the hiccups stop. It only takes maybe 15 seconds. I keep the sound going for another minute or two, then turn it off and I'm hiccup free.

It has worked every time for a couple of months now. So I wanted to share it with you all in case this might help even just one or two other people. The relief is amazing!

Best of luck to everyone!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Thanks, bro, I find that certain types of noise reduce my T for a while, I'll give it a try

3. JaneTC
      Angry

JaneTC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/05/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at work
      I like brown noise!

I've only just developed T, after needless noise exposure at work (thanks manager), so am feeling anxious because it's all new. It's been taking me a while to drop off to sleep, as I've been fixating on the ringing, so I decided to try white noise, but didn't like it. But then I found brown noise. It's a bit like a distant whooshing sea, or reminiscent of dozing in the back seat of a moving car as a child (eg tyres on road). So I've played brown noise at low level the last 3 nights, just loud enough to obscure my T and helps me drop off a bit quicker.

However when I wake up each morning, my ears just... feel tired. Is that likely to just be still the shock of the noise exposure which caused the T, or isn't listening to whooshing noises for 6+ hours actually just doing my ears in even more? This is a probably a "how long is a piece of string" question, isn't it...