CADET: New Company Working on Vagus Nerve

Discussion in 'Research News' started by James White, Oct 25, 2014.

1. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi all,

this NIH funded company is currently working on another algorythm with vagus nerve stimulation:

http://www.cadetnm.com/

Neat website, seems legit:

The TROT music is combined with transcutaneous stimulation of the Vagus Nerve at the ear. The Vagus Nerve is one of the 12 cranial nerves of the central nervous system. Through non-invasive stimulation of the vagus, it is possible to augment the efficiency of plastic changes directed by the TROT music.

Dr. Lewine is the chief science guru at CADET and leads the clinical and research operations. He is the prime developer of the APT and TROT algorithms, as implemented by Dr. Bangera. Dr. Lewine is internationally recognized for his brain imaging research in autism spectrum disorders and the invisible wounds of war such as traumatic brain injury, PTSD, and tinnitus.

He is also a Professor of Translational Neuroscience and the Director of Business Development for the Mind Research Network in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Dr. Lewine holds adjunct faculty appointments in the Departments of Neurology and Psychology at the University of New Mexico, and he is the Director of Neuroscience for Lovelace Scientific Resources.

Dr. Lewine holds a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from the University of Rochester, and was previously a Director’s Fellow at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Dr. Lewine’s research leading up to the development of APT and TROT has been funded by several sources including the National Institutes of Health [NICHD and NICD], the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense, Cure Autism Now, the March of Dimes, the Wallace Foundation and NARSAD.

• Informative Informative x 2
    2. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Pretty awesome that they'll be using a non-invasive method of trying to stimulate the vagus nerve! Hopefully they make some progress.

They're also aiming to get FDA approval before the end of 2014:

3. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Non-invasive tVNS is probably the way to go for the most of us. At least to try. tVNS devices are quite simple and one can modify a normal TENS device for this. I have one.

4. Thank you for highlighting the Tinnitus Re-Organization Training application being developed by CADET-NM.

Unfortunately the information concerning FDA status is not correct. We are at a very early stage of evaluation, completing our initial pilot safety study now. This will then be followed by a larger multisite trial that will be used for FDA purposes, but completion of this is likely a year or more away. The multisite trial will require specific clinic visits and will thus be appropriate only for individuals living near the handful of selected clinics. Until we have full FDA approval, we unfortunately cannot sell the system to the public. We are exploring an additional research trial that would allow people in the tinnitus community to access the device for complete home use, without any requisite clinic visits. There will likely be some cost associated with participation in this trial, and research data will be collected in the form of quetionnaires up-loaded to our site.. We hope to have this research/home-based treatment opportunity available in January of 2015. Anyone interested in this opportunity can drop us a note at www.cadetnm.com

Thanks

Jeffrey David Lewine, Ph.D.
      CEO/CSO CADET-NM

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Appreciate the clarification, best of luck with the trials!

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi,

I've contacted @Jeffrey Lewine in order to get an update on this app :), waiting for a reply...

• Like Like x 3
    7. Lance

Lance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I don't mean to be a pessimist or a squeaky wheel, but I see these things come up all the time.

A company gets a million or so for funding, there is a lot of hoopla, talks of trials, and then the information kind of trails off. Any requests to find more information are met with a slight defensive posture by someone from the company.

Just to remind everybody ...

1. Taxpayer dollars funding NIH are from the taxpayers, making them the primary beneficiaries of advances in research. Thus, the general public is a key stakeholder in the decisions resulting from the NIH funding policy.
      If a company takes money from NIH, then shouldn't they be obligated to publish their findings and research?

I say this with a kind heart, caring for everyone, and yes I know people have to make salaries, and getting public funding is one of the ways to do it.
      In that sense, I am grateful that someone is trying something.

I hope it is valid research, and not just another ruse to allow people with fancy titles and PhDs to pay their mortgages.

Please hurry.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?

I wanted to give you the informative nod,but towards the end it got funny because there's some truth there.Not really funny when you think about it,just funny how you ended it ;).

• Like Like x 1