Can Acoustic Trauma Cause PET (Patulous Eustachian Tube)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lchops, Jun 23, 2022 at 8:00 PM.

1. Lchops

Lchops Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      Hello,

I am fairly new to Tinnitus Talk. I got an MRI scan for my lumbar spine 9 weeks ago and it was extremely loud in there. In addition the headphones they provided as protection had music playing and, because I’m claustrophobic, I thought nothing of the loud music through the headphones, I just wanted the 12 minutes to be over with.

Well that was very stupid of me and I’ll regret it for the rest of my life. But I can’t go back in time. About 39 minutes later the ringing in my ears started. It is actually hissing/static noise.

I was already in pain from my herniated lumbar disc, so after the tinnitus, I went into panic mode. I didn’t sleep, eat and I started clenching my teeth.

A week later I developed a sore jaw and clicking and popping in my ears while swallowing, eating, talking and even while doing nothing.

I feel like this could be Patulous Eustachian Tube but how would this be a result of the acoustic trauma?

I know I definitely have popping and clicking in my jaw from all the stress this is causing.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. I haven’t slept in 9 weeks now and I’m sure that only makes things worse.

Thank you, merci.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. John Joseph

John Joseph Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Very interesting. I recently experienced an acoustic trauma as a result of next to no protection during a very loud MRI. The earplugs they gave me were garbage and kept falling out and I had no clue about the loudness beforehand.

I've had some on and off Eustachian tube issues beforehand, but they hadn't bothered me in a while. After the acoustic trauma, they have been off the charts terrible. Awful ear pressure/fullness, constant clicking/popping.

I've spent hours trying to figure out the connection. There seems to be a correlation sometimes (some threads on here), but I'm not sure if these symptoms that appear on the surface to be some form of ETD, could in fact be related to some other source caused by the noise or not. I wish it were simple to figure out.

I'll be following this thread though and will post if I find anything out definitively. Hope you're able to improve your issues.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lchops

Lchops Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI
      @John Joseph, oh no, I’m sorry to hear they gave you lousy ear protection! How long was your scan? Did you also develop tinnitus as a result?

The ETD must certainly be a result of the loud noise exposure then. Interesting that there isn’t much literature about this connection. I see an ENT next week so I can keep you posted. The popping and clicking is driving me more crazy than the actual tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I hope that this is something that can heal with time. I tried Flonase for a couple weeks and it helped with the inflammation but not more than that. I’ve tried lots of saline sprays now.

Let’s hope we can get some feedback from others on here. Hang in there!