Can an Earplug in Good Ear Reduce Tinnitus in the Bad One?

Discussion in 'Support' started by lamasheen, Apr 19, 2014.

1. lamasheen

lamasheen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2014
      Hi, am brand new to this forum. I was diagnosed with mild to moderate hearing loss recently and started experiencing tinnitus and the feeling of fullness in my bad ear (right). Am still on prednisone. The loss of hearing does not bother me that much, it is more the fullness and sense of balance feeling that bothers me so much along with the on and off tinnitus feeling. Does the fullness and pressure eventually go away? It is very uncomfortable. Also, I noticed that when I put an earplug in my GOOD ear, it somewhat balances the hearing on both sides and I feel much more comfortable, even though I cannot hear as well. With the earplug in the good ear, I almost do not even sense the tinnitus and discomfort, seems it gets worse if I don't have the earplug in my good ear. Has anyone ever tried this? Luckily my left ear is OK so I am not completely debilitated. However, this is one of THE most stressful things I have ever experienced in my life, I am in my mid 40's, too young to have to deal with this the rest of my life.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Lamasheen, and welcome!

I've had tinnitus for many years, but mine got worse about 4 years ago. Mine is similar to yours, in the right ear only, with moderate hearing loss in that ear.

The feeling of fullness is really bothersome, and I had it for quite awhile when my tinnitus first got worse. However, the full feeling is totally gone now! I think it has to do with your ears adjusting to this new sound, and it will eventually go away on its own. I believe it has something to do with an imbalance in the Eustachian tubes.

I just tried putting an earplug in my good ear to see what would happen. In my case, it didn't really make much difference in my tinnitus level. I will say, however, that it's OK to use earplugs when really needed, but you will actually habituate to your tinnitus a lot faster if you minimize the use of them. I'd suggest using them for loud noise exposure, but not all the time.

Yes, it is very stressful, especially in the beginning, but for most of us, things do improve. That improvement is referred to as habituation, and it means that you'll still have tinnitus, but it won't bother you so much anymore.

We're glad you joined us here. It's a great forum, with lots of information and support. Again, welcome!

3. Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi there! And welcome on board :)

Seems like a sensation of fullness and/or pain in the ear is pretty common in the beginning. I have it as well.
      Most people I have been talking to, who have had it says that it either went away or got a lot better.

Im very well aware of how T can increase our stress levels, but it seems like the brain is able to habituate to this new sound in time, at least from what I have experienced myself, and from what I have heard from others.

Dont forget that your T might resolve on its own given time :)

Personally I would guess that the brain will eventually adopt to the difference in your hearing with time, but i dont know, maybe someone here that has experienced the same issue might be able to give you an answer :)

Lets stay strong! It will get better one way or another :)

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Mr. Cartman,

Yes, from my experience, the brain does adapt to the difference in hearing with time. I was habituated to my tinnitus before this worsening occurred, and I didn't pay much attention to it. So, yes, it really is possible!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Gerry
      Badass

Gerry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts...mine started with a cold and came and went etc. I had a hearing test and while there is hearing loss ENT and my Doc say it's not that bad. It was bearable and then I went to the pistol range last week and when I came out my ear was full and I was deaf. Yes I wore hearing protection, left ear is fine. So back to the doc etc...maybe it was just a coincidence. So now I am on antibiotics and some ear drops, waiting to get into another ENT. My doc seems to think it is blocked or infected Eustachian tubes. I nose rinse, use steroid spray and am now trying mucinex type of stuff to cut back any mucous. Hearing is slowly coming back so I think there is hope. I feel for all of you (us). This is annoying as hell.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      lamasheen

lamasheen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2014
      Thanks, it has been almost 6 weeks since I posted. The prednisone didn't work. After that, I started getting mild dizzy spells and working on a very high floor did not help at all. Am testing a hearing aid, that does help with the fullness and off balance. You are right, I am kind of getting used to it. Not sure if the hearing aid helps though, still playing around with it. It only helps with reducing the aurul fullness, that is about it but it also brings a whole bunch of other complications and annoyances. Question though, does increased tinnitus have the effect of reducing your hearing capacity?

7. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Lamasheen
      Obviously the auditory system and balance are integrated; therefore, a degradation (or imbalance if you would) to one side of your hearing may very well be linked with your balance issue.

Do you know the cause of your T? If one ear has an infection (or more so than the other) then there may be an imbalance (more fluid in one side than the other). Also, if one ear is straining more than the other (due to hearing loss) this can lead to an imbalance.

Perhaps, in a strange way, putting an ear plug in the good ear is some how leveling the playing field (seems odd, though).

Have you been checked for Meniere's disease? Loss of balance is one of its components...although Meniere's is very tough to accurately diagnose.

Mark