Can Anyone Recommend Sleeping Drugs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MikeB1996, Mar 2, 2018.

1. MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Hey everyone, hope your day/night is going good.
      I was hoping for someone to give me advice on sleeping drugs, i always have trouble sleeping and tinnitus adds to it some nights. Is there any drugs that don't make you feel drowsy the next day? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Amitriptyline (10 mg) is non-addictive and it (0.75 of a pill) didn't make me feel drowsy the next day (while allowing me to sleep during the time when my T had been at its worst).

Large doses (I believe over 50 mg) have been shown to reduce T in 10 or 20% of the patients. Unfortunately, like all drugs that can reduce T, about 1% of people who take amitriptyline report their T getting louder. So it works for the vast majority of people, but some unlucky folks live to regret taking it.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeB1996

MikeB1996 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/rave
      Appreciate the suggestion, I'll look it up, i had sleeping problems since forever, brain won't stop thinking at night :)

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Same here. T is Not helping with my insomnia. Having said this, as soon as I discovered that I can sleep without resorting to amitriptyline, I stopped using it.

I have been using melatonin for a long time, and it is somewhat helpful. If you try it, make sure not to take too much of it.
      https://vanwinkles.com/the-dark-side-downsides-side-effects-of-melatonin
      "In 2001, researchers at MIT concluded that the correct dosage for melatonin falls between .3 and 1 mg."

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Since back in 1999 when I first got T, I've used "Imovane" (Swedish name, the ingredient is Zoplikon, I think) to help me fall a sleep. Usually I just take about 1/4 pill, but if you take a whole one it'll help you sleep for about six hours.

Oddly enough during this last spike, though I have quite a lot of trouble getting through it, I have slept quite well without sleeping pills.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      . dont nap during the day
      . exercise. wear yourself out so youll be naturally tired
      . melatonin sr. magnesium. valerian. passionflower