Can Barking Dogs Cause Hearing Damage / Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Willysolman, May 12, 2019.

1. Willysolman
      Aggressive

Willysolman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown maybe shout in ear
      Hey guys.

I was at a party today where there were 5 barking dogs (Jack Russell Terriers).

I measured the decibels of the dogs barking, it was 102.5 dB.

How do I know if I suffered hearing loss from the barking?

I was exposed to a lot of barks. I was also exposed to some shovels being bashed to a stone, it sounded loud but I don’t know if it was, I couldn’t measure it.

Thanks, Willy.

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Yes they can. 102 dB is way above the safe limit.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Willysolman
      Aggressive

Willysolman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown maybe shout in ear
      How do I know if it damaged my hearing? Or if it hasn’t? I also measured it with a phone app so it might not be accurate.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Loud noise overexcites and kills synapses in the cochlea and eventually it can kill sensory hair cells in the inner ear causing permanent hearing loss.

Of course one event of over exposure isn't going to cause noticeable hearing loss but tiny bits of hearing deficits build up over time.

• Like Like x 2
    5. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      If you don't notice any differences in your tinnitus you should be ok. Make sure that you bring plugs with you at all times!

• Like Like x 2
    6. Gerbit

Gerbit Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Hello everyone! I posted about a spike a few months ago, and wanted to let you know it’s going better for me. Ears aren’t better, but I’m becoming more habituated and less anxious about the new level in my ears.

I do however have a question for you all... about 5 days ago I was at a friend's house (going to see a really cute cat :)) and there was a German shepherd there. It barked a couple of times when I went inside, maybe 20 or so feet away. I don’t remember exactly how loud it dad, maybe the same as a door slam. I put in ear plugs after that, and it wasn’t loud much at all when the dog continued to bark. My tinnitus doesn’t seem to be too much affected by it.

My question is this: do you think I caused any damage by being exposed to the bark?

My guess is not, but I am still having anxiety over focusing on the bark. What’s strange is some events (like being at choir or by a blender with earplugs) don’t seem to trigger my anxiety, but I’m focusing on this one event. Any ideas on if it was damaging to my hearing at all? (Fun weird fact: I have perfect hearing all the way from like 20-20000 Hz and still have tinnitus!)

7. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      No damage done. I have two big labradors. I get a bark surprise at least a few times a week. Nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      Have you ever measured their barks? Decibels?

• Like Like x 1
    9. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I have a decibel app on my phone and the loudest bark measured about 105 dB. They have a deep bark which doesn’t bother my ears as much as the high pitched yappers.

Luckily my dogs don’t bark much.

• Like Like x 2
    10. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      This is hard for those of us who have and love our dogs! I have 2 dogs and sometimes get caught out with their barking which can cause ear pain but I’d never not have them... no way am I giving into tinnitus and giving up my beloved pets!

• Like Like x 2