Can Blood Glucose Levels Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jun 27, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I don't have a blood glucose meter but I was wondering if maybe I should get one if it is possible that blood glucose levels can make tinnitus worse. I have heard of people having a sugar spike which made it worse so I was wondering if there could be a correlation with that and glucose levels (or maybe insulin related?). Does anyone know if this could be the case?

2. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      Some people do have spikes, some don't (from what they have posted on my thread)

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Interesting. Can you give me a link to your thread?

4. Sorien
      Sad

Sorien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold?
      Everyone gets a spike in glucose after a meal, glucose is commonly found in foods. It's why diabetics have to check their blood sugar after meals. Glucose is not the enemy here, you need it for energy (all in moderation). Unless you're downing sugar water or some other heavy carb food I wouldn't bother buying a meter. You don't have to do things like a diabetic to watch your diet.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I wonder though if it may have an effect either psychological or with tinnitus for certain types of causes. I think some of my sounds are partially due to too much glutamate. I heard that blood sugar can increase glutamate levels and those levels also effect certain centers of the brain which cause depression. Of course not everyone gets depressed from eating sugar. I am wondering if I drink more water, exercise more, eat more soluable fiber, keep taking magnesium, get quality sleep, and eat a little less sweets (hard for me to do ;)), I may have lower T after some days go by. Maybe not though. Probably wouldn't hurt my health though. :)

6. Sorien
      Sad

Sorien Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold?
      glutamate =! glucose