Can COVID-19 Cause Tinnitus? I Also Have Dizziness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by rbro11, Feb 27, 2021.

1. rbro11

rbro11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/3/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,

I had COVID-19 mid October and I was fully recovered, having no issues, for over 2 months before a slight dizziness/nausea returned. A month later I experienced spells of minor ringing for 5 seconds for a week in my right ear (normal other than the number of times). I then had one of those spells occur where after the initial loud ringing, a minor one remained in my right ear.

A week before this I had been cleaning my ears with q-tips and I do generally produce a lot of earwax. I went to a walk in clinic who saw the blockage in my right ear and flushed out a big ball of wax. I then used Ciprofloxacin Dexamethasone for a week and saw my right ear improve but I also started getting that static ringing in my left ear.

I went to an ENT last week who didn’t see any issues with the inner or middle ear and my audiogram was fine. He did not believe that the tinnitus was caused by COVID-19 but that my dizziness was; he let me know to give it at least 3 months and both the tinnitus and dizziness will improve.

My questions are:

(1) Is it known if COVID-19 can cause tinnitus?

(2) Is it too early to worry about this being a chronic issue?

I started taking Lexapro the morning after the ringing persisted as I deal with stress and anxiety; my doctor had finally prescribed and recommended it for me.

I know this is a lot but any responses would be appreciated!

2. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Some people have joined this forum saying they got tinnitus from COVID-19.

This person in this case study also got sudden hearing loss and tinnitus from COVID-19.
      Way too early. At 12 months if it's not gone away or improved, then you just will have to learn to live with it until other solutions come available.

• Like Like x 1
    3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ciprofloxacin caused my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. S J

S J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid
      I am here searching for similar cases of Covid-onset tinnitus, as mine and many others that I've corresponded with began having tinnitus with or shortly after a covid infection. Is there a particular forum or thread for these cases?

5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      According to the Audiology wing in the largest hospital in my country, they've seen many people getting tinnitus from COVID-19. I don't know more than that.

Myself, I got 2 new intrusive tinnitus sounds from it that are still here 3-4 months later.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      I have read a lot of people say they got tinnitus after COVID-19.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @rbro11 -- Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. -- I would strongly suggest you do extensive research on fluoroquinolone antibiotics before ever using one again. Results from using them can be catastrophic. Thousands of people on forums who've been "floxed" can attest to their debilitating "side effects". Many brands have already been taken off the market. The others should be banned except for exceptional circumstances.