Can Dental Implant Procedure Cause Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by object16, Jan 5, 2014.

1. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Hi, one of my crowns broke off - my two top front are o.k. but the tooth right next to it seems to have broken off across the base, so I doubt they can re glue it - I am thinking of : 1: just get the root extracted and go with a missing tooth - or 2: get root extracted and have implant put it.

I am 57 years old male.

How much noise is there involved in getting an implant put in?

when i had 2 crowns installed in Sept 2013 the grinding noise from the tool caused me to have a permanent severe spike - my tinnitus has been getting slightly better, but I am still on very shaky ground. If getting an implant is very noisy, i would just rather go without teeth and eat baby food.

2. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I have half a dental implant and I'm waiting for osseointegration to get the other half.

The drill on my jaw was surprisingly low noise. Waaay lower than the drill used on teeth for fillings, root canals, etc. I suspect this is related to the procedure itself, but I don't know.

I had 3 days of antibiotics (rhodogil). Antibiotics are a safety measure to avoid any possible infection that would compromise the implant. A few days after antibiotics I thought I had an increase, but right now I'm not sure, maybe just a bad day.

If you wear earplugs they won't protect you as much as from external noise because of the contact between the drill and the bone, but are still worth wearing.

If you don't replace the missing tooth, the one on the opposite side may just fall after 7 years or so. It also compromises the stability of nearby teeth.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Frohike, I suspected it was lower noise, because teeth have enamel which is super hard, where the jaw bone is just normal bone so it should be easier to drill into it - thanks!!! for the reply.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi I went to the dentist, and he only needed to do about 30 sec. of drilling, and it was not that loud. He drilled for a second, then off for two seconds, on for a sec., off for two, and then discovered he did not really have to drill very much to install a post into the existing root, without having to do a root canal, or resort to extraction/implant. He said the extraction/implant can always be done later if this first method doesn't work, but he thinks it will.

After coming back from the dentist, my tinnitus is slightly louder, but no new tones, and no harsh screeching like it was in September, so I think I'll be o.k. - pm.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Object16,

I'm glad you didn't have to endure much drilling for the post to be installed. That's great news!

I wanted to let you know, just in case you have to have an implant done at a later date, that I recently had three dental implants done without any increase in my tinnitus! The implants are done in several steps: First, the dentist must extract any teeth that need to be removed; then, the metal posts are implanted. After that, there are several months of healing. Then, you go back to the maxillofacial surgeon to be checked. If the implants have adhered properly, you are then sent back to your regular dentist to have the permanent crowns made and affixed.

I'm glad I had the implants done, and would recommend it, if needed. For me at least, there was no spike or increase in my tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Thanks for explaining Karen, good to know how such a procedure is performed.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      object16
      Magical

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had the dentist use intermittent pulsing of the drill - one second on, one second off. that seems to have done the job. then dentist was very well aware of the issue, and so he did not subject me to any continuous drilling, which with tinnitus it has to do with both time X intensity, and you can tolerate more intense, with shorter time, so that is what he did, and I'm doing a lot better today.

8. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I should known about all that a year ago i got all my amalgane out gave the tip to my t damed.