Can I Go to the Disco?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pawel, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Pawel

Pawel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      Hello. I have hyperacusis for 6 years now as I had acoustic shock then.

I've been very close to loud speakers turned almost full power for about 2-3 sec what led to irreversible cochlear damage.

My symptoms are ear pain while exposed to even moderate sounds depending on frequency of the sound and some tinnitus.

Once I had such discomfort directly when exposed to too loud sounds but now it partially disappeared and ear pain is present.

Also I've been diagnosed with otitis externa once but it passed away after some treatment.

I would like to go to the disco using hearing protection.

Would Peltor Optime III or Peltor X5 protect me sufficiently not to worsen my condition.

I know I will look like an alien in it but it seems to be only option.

2. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry... this is my personal opinion.
      But, I would refrain to go to this place
      and taking risk of aggravating my tinnitus or hyperacusis .
      Just my 2 cents opinion.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      No unless you want to make your hearing worse, beg these guys to research hyperacusis and find treatments
      https://decibeltx.com/

• Like Like x 1
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You should be very upset that hardly anyone except the these guys https://focus.masseyeandear.org/ which I believe are associated with Decibel Therapeutics are pretty much one only handful of scientist on the planet researching hyperacusis. The mainstream doesn't even know about hyperacusis and it is a common understanding among doctors to tell hyperacusis patients that TRT and living like a hermit is the only answer.

Hopefully treatments for hearing loss in the future might help hypothetically by repairing the outer hair cells or OHC synapses that are triggering type II afferent nerve cells in the cochlea to act as pain receptors. However I don't know, I am not the best at explaining research. I'm not a researcher there may be more complications at a neurological level or more to repairing hearing damage. I wish someone that was actually qualified was on the forum to help. I wish hyperacusis was researched more. I wish the medical community at large cared.

https://hyperacusisresearch.org/2016-aro-symposium-pain-hyperacusis/
      upload_2018-7-20_15-58-50.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If you decide to go, make sure to wear foam earplugs beneath the ear muffs. They will provide extra protection as well as function as a safety measure if the ear muffs aren't properly fitted, someone accidentally or intentionally pushes them off, or whatever. Things like that have a nasty tendency to happen. Foster a bit of paranoia. In my experience, it pays off.

Finally, foam earplugs must be deep inserted into the inner ear canal to provide proper protection.

7. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Disco lover, what is your decision ?

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. Adriel93

Adriel93 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/22/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      One thing I cant understand is why do people want to make it worse? I just dont get it. It is bad as is when its Mild let alone when its Severe-Extreme.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Some people are risk takers. It is also possible that they are underestimating the probability that their T will get worse, and how bad debilitating T will make them feel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is so freakin loud. I cant even cover it with my sound oasis like I did before. It sounds like a high pitched dentist drill in my ear all the time. Sleeping is hard as hell especially having visual snow.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Some people just have a hard time accepting that life has huge limitations once they get T, and rightfully so really. I feel lucky really that i escaped this condition until i was 35. I barely go out at all anymore but for someone in their teens or early 20s to get this it must be really hard to accept these limitations. Sometimes its a case of feeling your way through, what else can you do other than lock yourself away for the rest of your life? The worst thing about this condition is the way it punishes you possibly for the rest of your life.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pawel

Pawel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
    14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Those limitations are not the Worst thing about this condition. The sound you get to hear is the worst.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could end up paying for this for (and with) the rest of your life. So you might as well get the most out of it and stay at the disco for as long as you can. It makes sense to Maximize the amount that you sell your life for!

Another fact to keep in mind is that (should your T get louder and harder to ignore as a result of your visit to the disco) the longer you stay at the disco, the longer it will be before you get to hear your brand new sound. You will want to postpone That for as long as you can!

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pawel

Pawel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock
      @Bill Bauer For permanent damage to occur certain amount of time must be spent in excessively loud environment.Like for regular people it's 85dB for 8h and 94dB for 1h but this is without protection.Staying excessively long with cause more damage.
      As regular people without protection can stay at disco for few hours with no permanent damage so i thought it shouldn't further damage my earmuffs-protected ears with shorter time of exposure like 1h or max 2h

17. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Pawel ,
      You could ring ahead to see if they have a quiet area like a bar or lounge to escape to if the music is booming.
      It has to be your choice if you go and if you can cope emotionally if you have a spike.
      I was fine at my sons wedding .
      love glynis

18. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced

• Like Like x 2
    19. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Pawel

I don't think you realize how severe and debilitating tinnitus can get. If you knew then you wouldn't even contemplate going to a place where there is very loud sounds after what you have been through even with hearing protection, which I don't think will help you. I agree with other members comments and advise you to stay away from places where there is loud music, as you could regret it for the rest of your life.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listen up! I had mild T and it was fine, dude trust me YOU DONT WANT SEVERE TINNITUS. YOU DONT KNOW HOW BAD THIS CAN GET! TRUST ME. I have SEVERE T and it ruined my life completely. ON TOP OF THAT you will get visual problems like dark eye floaters, visual snow, etc. Trust me dont mess around IT IS NOT WORTH IT BELIEVE ME..PLEASE I DONT WANT TO PLEAD WITH YOU!

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't know about permanent damage, but I know that Permanent Tinnitus Can be created in a Fraction of a Second. I had my acoustic trauma (that took a fraction of a second) 1.5 years ago today. I have been hearing T ever since that time.
      This forum is full of stories of people who got Permanent spikes (or temporary spikes that had lasted for months and haven't faded) as a result of innocent-sounding noises. Check out the first post on
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/learn-from-others-mistakes.29437/
      Tell this to your loved ones whose ears haven't been compromised. It is relevant for them. It has no relevance (not even in the slightest) to a person who has T. The stories that you get to read about on this forum (and the ones in the post I linked to above are just the tip of the iceberg) prove that you don't need exposure even remotely as major as 85 dB for 8 hours, to get a serious (possibly permanent) T spike.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1