Can Listening to a Frequency Similar to Your Tinnitus Make It Worse? Scared Here.

Discussion in 'Support' started by SleeplessSoul, Feb 19, 2015.

1. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I found that listening to a low volume brown noise at night really masked my low bass tones very well and seemed to sleep a little better that night.
      But the next day, I seem to have the louder (mulit low) tones and am worried that using a frequency with bass tones, is making me worse!
      I can't mask with high pitched tones, it grates on my nerves and doesn't mask the sound.
      Is there anyone that knows if listening to a similar tone can permanently worsen the T? Like getting it so ingrained in the brain?
      I have to have some quiet masking, I can't sleep without it.
      Help!!

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      If anything i would have thought listening to sounds similar in frequency to your t will enabe you take advantage of residual inhibition (temporary suppression)...

unless you listen to masking that exceeds 85db i wouldnt be too fussed...

• Like Like x 1
    3. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      If you found useful brown noise, keep the volume a little bit lower than T

• Like Like x 2
    4. Indianajohn
      Arsewit

Indianajohn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud chronic noise for three months
      If I listen to a sound that is close to the same high frequency as my T it is downright painful

• Like Like x 1
    5. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      I guess we all have different reactions. I have been playing a bell melody for over a month close to, but below the frequency of my "ringing", for me it seems to confuse the brain as to what it is focused on and the tendency is now that my brain gets locked on the melody and ignores the T, until I give it attention or I shut off the melody. I find it is progress for me. I never really masked, always sound therapy just below freq and I found a sound pillow increased my T, so I use my computer and the sound is diffused in the environment. I am soon going to strike up the courage to try sound pillow again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Thank you all for your kind responses. It was very comforting to know that listening to a very quiet low sound was ok.

When I wake up my left ear is kind of thumping and the left jaw and neck are always in pain. There has to be some connection to that as I didn't have any noise exposure, just the cervical spine degeneration along with jaw dislocation on the opposite side.

Waking up with busier tones may be becasue I am sleeping in one position (I have to) on my back al night. The stiffness and pain in the morning are debilitating.

It doesn't quiet down during the day either. But my ear constantly feels full or blocked even though I didn't have an infection. I had some fluid at one point and the H with that, but after taking afrin the H went away.

I am still in the freaking out anxiety stage because this isn't my typical sound of a ringing that comes and goes.
      Again I appreciate all who allayed my fears. Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. VinceM

VinceM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      > I found that listening to a low volume brown noise at night really masked my low bass tones very well and seemed to sleep a little better that night.

This works for me. also. I cannot mask higher tones (yet). So, I agree on both your points about masking.

> But the next day, I seem to have the louder (mulit low) tones and am worried that using a
      > frequency with bass tones, is making me worse!

This does not happen to me, exactly. When I play a higher tone, such as 5300 Hz that was processed with wah-wah and paul-strectch, my T gets tuned, higher when I remove the tone! Interesting, I thought. This could mean that I might be able to tune my T even higher? I dont know, yet.

My T never permanently worsened. For me, the high pitch always settles to the same (around 5300 Hz or so).
      The low PT is always evident at night, (and is also evident quiet during daytime) unless I have other masking music or sounds around.

> I can't mask with high pitched tones, it grates on my nerves and doesn't mask the sound.
      Agree. I don't 'mask' with high pitched tones, but I can listen to my (approximated) T sound in headphones. When I did that , and then removed the headphones, I noticed that I shifted my T to a different frequency! I once read accounts of people claiming that there is a device that perfectly matches the T, [but didn't believe it ] and then eliminates your T when the device is removed. I need to research this http://www.soundcure.com/ to see if it works. If it works for me -- it would be a godsend!

Is there anyone that knows if listening to a similar tone can permanently worsen the T? Like getting it so ingrained in the brain?

> I have to have some quiet masking, I can't sleep without it.
      Agree.

Thoughts ? Has anyone tried http://www.soundcure.com/ with good results ?