Can Propiomazine Make Tinnitus Worse? Is It Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by HeavyMantra, Jun 23, 2021.

1. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      "Propiomazine is an antagonist at types 1, 2, and 4 dopamine receptors, serotonin (5-HT) receptor types 2A and 2C, muscarinic receptors 1 through 5, alpha(1)-receptors, and histamine H1-receptors. Propiomazine's antipsychotic effect is due to antagonism at dopamine and serotonin type 2 receptors, with greater activity at serotonin 5-HT2 receptors than at dopamine type-2 receptors. This may explain the lack of extrapyramidal effects. "

"Propiomazine is a phenothiazine, but is not used as a neuroleptic because it does not block dopamine receptors well."​

Help me understand the pharmacology of this drug as it relates to tinnitus.

This is a drug commonly prescribed in Sweden, but it seems unknown in most other countries. For days when I just want to be unconscious, I have the choice of this or Mirtazapine (which works wonders at a dose of 7.5 mg, but has a very long half life so it's not something a working person can use).

I can't figure out if Propiomazine is safe to take. It seems closely related to bad-for-tinnitus antihistamines, but it's not as notorious as Promethazine or Alimemazine (then again, it's so unknown so that could be the reason). It has an anticholinergic effect, but not a very big one...? I've Googled everything I can but I'm still not sure it's safe to take.

The fact that there are no safe-for-tinnitus sleeping meds prescribed in Sweden makes this condition even more intolerable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Amaranta
      Dramaqueen

Amaranta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do not know this drug... but you said antihistamines are bad for tinnitus? Or is it just some of them?

I am taking a small dose of Hydroxyzine three or four times per week, for sleep. I thought it was a safe drug and not ototoxic... Am I wrong?

It does not spike me the next day or anything, but I have been getting new sounds since the onset 8 months ago, one per month or so.

Could this be the cause?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Stop googling and stop being paranoid and making others paranoid. There are very very few medicines that are 'ototoxic' and some idiot called Neil Bauman (not even a medical doctor by the way) has written and posted a load of rubbish online.

Chemo, diuretics, aspirin and some antibiotics are about it for ototoxicity.

Alcohol is not great for the body either.

Prochlorperazine is safe like most medicines.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'll google as much as I want and need, thanks bud!

Those are the most ototoxic meds yes, but there are others. You're just showing off your ignorance here.

No idea who Neil Bauman is. No idea what Prochlorperazine is, it hasn't been mentioned in the thread.

As for antihistamines, I only use a very small dose of Mirtazapine when needed for sleep, a few times a year at most.