Can Septoplasty Surgery Make Tinnitus Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by New_Pilot_4463, Jun 23, 2022.

1. New_Pilot_4463

New_Pilot_4463 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral infection/Congestion
      Hello,

So about two months ago I had a viral infection that made it's way into my head, or at least that's what my doctors were saying. I had a really bad headache for a week, stuffed ears and ringing. Luckily, the ringing has subsided quite a bit to the point where I don't really notice it unless I search for it in a quiet room or am sleeping.

However, I have always had congestion problems and when I wake up the ringing is remarkedly worse. My ears will feel full and my nose stuffed. I usually chew gum/drink water/sit elevated or get up if it's morning, and things will drain and the ringing will subside to a lower level again.

I have a deviated septum and my ENT thinks it would be beneficial to have a septoplasty with no need for sinus reconstruction/surgery. His thinking is it will help with my overall congestion in nose and Eustachian tubes and even the ringing, which I'm all for. However, I'm nervous this may make my tinnitus worse. It will only be a 20-30 minute procedure where he realigns my septum and I'm very hopeful, but weary at the same time after looking online (probably should not have done). Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Also, I take OTC allergy medicine, use Flonase, and the sauna everyday which definitely helps congestion. I also had an audiology test and my hearing is fine with no hearing loss.

2. wicki

wicki Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely noise induced trauma
      Hey @New_Pilot_4463,

I have a Septoplasty scheduled in about a week and was curious as to whether you went through with it and, if so, how it affected your tinnitus.

Thanks,
      Wicki