Can the Drug Florinef (Fludrocortisone) Affect Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Oct 21, 2020.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I was prescribed Florinef (Fludrocortisone), I believe it was to boost blood volume by increasing sodium levels. Does anyone know if this can affect tinnitus, either good or bad? So, is it ototoxic?

Also, has anyone ever taken Florinef long term? If so, what was it like?

2. throwaway

throwaway Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did you end up taking it? Did it worsen tinnitus?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I didn't end up taking it. Got kind of scared of potential side effects.

4. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      Every damn drug is ototoxic if a large enough population takes it.

5. throwaway

throwaway Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How are you treating your POTS/dysautonomia? I'm in a similar situation.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I've been trying different stuff. Blue Blocking glasses at night can help me be a little calmer at night. I have a program called f.lux that turns down the blue light on my computer. Avoiding bright lights at night seems to help. I have compression socks and an abdominal binder that I can use if I want. For a while, I haven't been eating several hours before bedtime. I've got a supplement called Vitassium that has sodium and potassium in it that I can take with a bottle of water.

One thing I am trying right now is a rowing machine. I am able to exercise much easier on it since I can sit down. I'm hoping if I use it long term, it will have a beneficial effect on me. I guess I will see what happens.

I hope things get better for you asap.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey I found this story about a woman who took Ivabradine for POTS and said she had no more tinnitus. I'm not trying to endorse the drug either way because I don't know the potential side effects but figured I would show this to you.

https://liveyourselfbetter.wordpres...-beta-blockers-ivabradine-and-a-happy-ending/

8. beachbowi

beachbowi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2007 and again in 2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's
      I have had full fledged Meniere's for over a year now. I have significant hearing loss in right ear with severe tinnitus. My ENT started me on Fludrocortisone a couple weeks ago. It hasn't returned any hearing or eliminated my tinnitus. But, what it seems to be doing is keeping my tinnitus at a constant lower level, and has eliminated the feeling of having one foot over the threshold of vertigo.

It's only been a couple of weeks, but I'll be happy if it just keeps things level the way the are now. I would say my experience so far with Fludrocortisone is positive.

• Like Like x 1