Can Tinnitus Go Away After Recovering from Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lucia Zuani, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Lucia Zuani

Lucia Zuani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Hello all,

New member here. I wonder if you have any information about this specific situation of mine.

So, I had en episode of mild sudden sensorineural hearing loss in the right ear - with a bit of hyperacusis - about 3 weeks ago.

I was treated with the standard course of Predinisolone and thankfully, an audiogram just showed that my hearing loss reverted in full. That is, I have no hearing loss any longer.

However, I still have frequent tinnitus and some sort of metallic sound in the left ear when hearing some sounds. My tinnitus is almost always here, but not always - I had one or two days without it all.

Is it possible for tinnitus to go away when sudden sensorineural hearing loss is reverted? If yes, is it normal to have better and worse days during this recovery process?

I sincerely thank you for any shared knowledge.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Mike_CA

Mike_CA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      I had something similar with the metallic sound at first. Luckily that went away. My tinnitus on the other hand did not. As a 12-year veteran to this, I have my good days and bad days. For most people, tinnitus improves either with the sound (volume) itself or our ability to cope with it. Hopefully it will improve for you soon.

3. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lucia Zuani

Lucia Zuani Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Many thanks for your reply, Mike. Did you also recover from hearing loss (I mean, as far as audiograms are concerned)? Or were you still left with some?

Did you have this metallic sound also when you spoke?
      Hi there. Not at all; if anything, the Prednisone helped me dramatically - it gave me back all of my hearing (at least the hearing that is detectable in standard audiograms), which seems to have made the tinnitus much better (still bad, but less so).

• Like Like x 2
    5. Mike_CA

Mike_CA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      I have hearing loss specifically at the same frequency as my tinnitus. So in my case, both are related. I honestly don't remember if I had the metallic sound when I spoke, I don't think I did. If I did, that would lead me to believe I had more hearing loss than I have. It's mostly that frequency.

I know this is late, I hope this post finds you.