Cannabidiol — Antiepileptic Drug Comparisons and Interactions in Experimentally Induced Seizures

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Danny Boy, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Cannabidiol--antiepileptic drug comparisons and interactions in experimentally induced seizures in rats.
      Consroe P, Wolkin A.
      Abstract
      A comparison of the anticonvulsant and neurotoxic effects of cannabidiol (CBD), delta 9tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabinol and antiepileptic drugs (phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine, chlordiazepoxide, clonazepam, ethosuximide and trimethadione) was made in rats. Median effective potencies (ED 50 values) for maximal electroshock, audiogenic seizures and TD50 values for a rotor rod neurotoxicity test were calculated. Additionally, the interactive effects of CBD and the antiepileptic drugs against maximal electroshock and audiogenic seizures were studied. Each drug was given orally at peak effect time. CBD was an effective and relatively potent anticonvulsant in both maximal electroshock and audiogenic seizure tests. The anticonvulsant potency of phenytoin was significantly increased when combined with phenobarbital, CBD and phenobarbital plus CBD. Additionally, CBD reliably reduced the anticonvulsant potencies of chlordiazepoxide, clonazepam, trimethadione and ethosuximide. These data indicate that CBD is an effective anticonvulsant with a specificity more comparable to drugs clinically effective in major than minor seizures. Furthermore, it appears that CBD enhances the anticonvulsant effects of the former and reduces the effects of the latter types of antiepileptic drugs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/850145

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
    4. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I may be mistaken, but from what I have read online, the concentration of cannabidiol administered in these trials is significantly higher than can be purchased by a consumer either online or off the shelf. Also, the particular form of epilepsy known as Dravet Syndrome is the one most positively responding to the CBD in marijuana use.

Hippocrates stated that, "Tinnitus is the little brother of epilepsy," as he saw a connection between the two. I am happy that people are willing to be guinea pigs and try CBD oil to determine whether it works for them.
      Unfortunately, the list of supplements touted as significantly reducing tinnitus is very, very long, whereas the list of successful supplements that actually work for severe tinnitus is none.

CBD oil has been around quite a while, and many people with tinnitus have used it with no effect whatsoever on their tinnitus. One anecdotal success story is not convincing.

@erik - Thank you for the link.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I agree. We'll see if it works, when people try it. We won't know if it works, if nobody tries it.

6. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      i have cbd pills in pure form that my bro gave me thinking it might help havent tried them their like 10$ a pop

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Worth a shot...Expensive, but if it gives you relief, that's priceless.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    8. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Did your bro buy them in the U.S.? If members of this forum report positive results that are significant, I'd sure pay $10 each to silence this beast in my brain.

9. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      It need to be THC-free because that what spikes it

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "Everyone is different - we all have unique bodies and suffer from different illnesses and severity of symptoms. So there isn't a concrete answer to the question.

However, based on what customers tell us:

For anxiety and depression 4-6 drops twice a day, before meals

For chronic pain, MS and epilepsy 4-6 drops 3-4 times per day, before meals.

(These are adult doses, for children you would want to use much, much less CBD.)"

http://www.lovecbd.org/

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It doesn't have really any THC, as it'll be illegal then.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Jaw
      Wishful

Jaw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      This looks very interesting. Much cheaper than Trobalt and easier to get. I'm off to buy some! :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. Robb09
      Alienated

Robb09 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      buzzing shaver/laptop fan whine/pellet gun/music/caff/wax/ eardrum red
      I didnt know Rick Simpson had T. Is that a true story?

14. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      We'll soon know (if he reponds) I mailed him.

• Like Like x 2
    15. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      he has a medical card..he knows the people at the despensary and he talked about my situation to the owner and he said here take these 5 pills and if they work we will help him out for free and give me a bottle/30pills..thats 300$...but i havent tried it because my monster it too crazy and very reactive to anything..and ive seen post on here about spiking ....

16. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I wouldn't worry mine have never spiked on CBD alone, on ly when THC was present.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I understand your fear, but people take 2 tablespoons a day of CBD oil for the omega benefit and have no adverse effects.

I have severe T and am willing to try high dose of anything if there's a chance it will help. Why does someone need a medical card for something like CBD, which is legal in the States?

18. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Are you talking about CBD oil or HEMP SEED oil? 2 table spoons sounds a lot that would be 2 boltles of 10ml.
      Although there are omegas present in CBD oil Hemp seed oil contain omega 3 6 and 9.

19. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I can confirm (as can many others on TT) that THC will spike T every time. Cannabis is legal in the state I live in and there is a store now practically on every corner. I haven't tried CBD but may have to look into it.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Hemp oil, but that's a mistake because it shows up in Amazon search results if you type "CBD oil" in the search field. Why it's listed under CBD oil is a mystery.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=hpc&field-keywords=cbd+oil&rh=n%3A3760901%2Ck%3Acbd+oil

21. Drecul
      Balanced

Drecul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. LetyO

LetyO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/depression/medications
      Hemp is high in CBD than cannabis. The CBD oil that you have read about has been made from hemp Charlottes Web, RSO, etc). I would be careful from purchaseing from Amazon since analysis of some of these products by the FDA found that they did not contain any CBD. Best to purchase from reliable labs that source to the dispensaries. I just started using CBD oil in 10 mg gel caps. I did manage to get a prescription which allows me to purchase it through a dispensary. The bioavailablity is very low (6%). Taking the oil sublingually has better bioavailability (also take with foods. There is a lot of information out there regarding CBD which helpful.
      So far I have not experienced any relief from this but also no adverse side effects. I will be starting at a higher dose and may just change to a different formulation.
      If this is not effective I will start a Trobalt/Potiga trial.

• Like Like x 1
    23. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      I speak from personal experience that THC doesn't spike T in all people. Not only do I smoke regular cannabis with no issues, but I also smoke cannabis extracts that are near pure THC with little to no impact on my T.

I will say though that if I smoke Sativa dominant strains (more alert, mental/head high effect) my T will sometimes increase simply because I pay more attention to it. I personally prefer Indica dominant strains (more sedative, relaxing effect) and I've found that Indica dominant extracts often take my attention completely off of my T for hours at a time.

I do understand that a portion of people do experience an increase in T from THC, but this is not true in all cases....

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. LetyO

LetyO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/depression/medications
      I have been taking CBD oil for two weeks. The last formulation I purchased was highly concentrated and had about 3% THC. I felt an improvement in my anxiety level and some significant improvement with my gastrointestinal issues. Unfortunately I started to experience more high T days since I started so I am discontinuing. May work for someone else and does not appear to have any other side effects (maybe more relaxed after taking it). My sister-in-law has been using it to treat her ulcerative colitis. I think it is worth trying but if your tinnitus begins to spike I would discontinue. It may take a while to get out of your system.