Car Backfired 5 Times Right Next to Me!

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, May 26, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, my ears have just been blasted by a really loud noise and I'm hoping it doesn't worsen my tinnitus! :(

So basically I was walking my dog down a hill on a street and a car with an aftermarket exhaust within 6 feet from me backfires! Sounded like gun shot! Then it happened again, again, again, again....5 fucking times! I couldn't cover my ears because I had to grapple the lead because my dog panicked and started running, half the neighbourhood was looking out wondering what the hell the noise was!

Ears are sore, hoping my ears don't don't get worse again! :( I'm surprising calm considering the equivalent of 5 gunshots went off right next to me!

People, cars, motorbikes do my fucking head in! Lol.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. How awful. I am so sorry. Hopefully your ears are OK.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Lynn, just a waiting game now, I'm praying my T doesn't change.

4. Maybe you could try a magnesium concoction like they give to military..just a thought...

The waiting game is tough. I have t and h, so I understand completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for the suggestion, might go and buy some, might be able to offset any possible damage?

• Like Like x 1
    6. Well there are some studies to show its efficacy in military with noise trauma. Look it up. I say, can't hurt.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks, I've just brought some, 3 capsules a day providing 300mg of magnesium citrate, hopefully that will help my ears a little.

Thanks again for the suggestion Lynn. :)

• Like Like x 1
    8. No problem! All the best!

• Like Like x 1
    9. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      There's a study that explains hearing damage after noise trauma is due to the prolonged action of oxidative damage in the ear in the 7-10 days following said noise trauma, then it explains how the right combination of vitamins A, C, E and magnesium are synergistic to prevent this hearing loss:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1950331/

You have very little time, and also the dose of magnesium you are trying is very low, many people takes double than that just as regular supplementation. You should start right now with a dose as high as is possible to take during the next week. From those, only vitamin A can be toxic in big doses, so you could take the maximum safe dose of A, 500% of the E daily recommended amount, at least 1000 or 2000mg of C, and about 1000mg of magnesium, or as high as you can take without having big diarrhea (which is the bigger complication for magnesium in high dose, but is worth that chance if you can avoid getting louder T.)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for your reply Frederick, would a multivitamin with the RDA of these vitamins be helpful?

8 hours later my tinnitus is the same (it's the next day I'm worried about), but my ears are very sore, nervous couple of days ahead!

11. Frederick86

Frederick86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Based on what I've read in that study, I'd say no. By logic, the RDA is the amount needed in average situations for basic functioning of the body. This is not an average daily situation and you need an excepcionally high antioxidant effect. An RDA dose would just got distributed on all your body and would do the same it does for everyone everyday, while you need the antioxidant effect to be so strong that it cleans the very high amounts of free radicals that have formed in your inner ears by now.

Don't take the risk of it not being enough because you though "well, maybe is enough with my usual multivitaminic", search which is the maximum amount you can take without it being toxic (and that risk is for vit. A only as I have read), and take that maximum amount for at least a week, better if you do 10 days.

If your T worsens even after that, at least you won't have to live with the doubt that a bit more of vitamins and magnesium could have avoided that increase.

Also, AT THE SAME TIME besides doing the vitamins+magnesium thing, if tomorrow you wake up with louder T, maybe a visit to the ER could help too. Steroids given in the 72h after noise trauma are known to have a chance of lowering T. If you do this, do ALSO the vitamin thing, it can't hurt and the most you do now, the better for your hearing.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Okay, thanks, I'll be heading down to the health shop tomorrow.

13. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      I'm sure you'll be fine, if you're going the vitamin route though: get on some magensium (chelated diglycinate or another form that has high bio-availability), niacin, b12, melatonin, and NAC - which I'm a big fan of now, pretty cheap too.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks yonkapin, woke up this morning and my tinnitus hasn't got worse (touch wood), so i think i will be ok without the vitamins, though i am taking 300mg magnesium citrate aday for a week just in case because i read a few good studies on magnesium is beneficial after noise exposure.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Kate Winstol
      Sporty

Kate Winstol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      It always annoys the fu k out of me how people can do those things, i may be a bit fucked up but i would suggest camps for those degenerates. Absolute no point in doing those high decibels around people and animals. Poor dog of yours.

All the hate to those people and hope you and your animal made it through

Edit: absolute scums