Checking In After 5 Months

Discussion in 'Support' started by HCR123, Apr 26, 2018.

1. HCR123
      Frustrated

HCR123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/anxiety from chronic pain; triggered by Audio test
      So I have almost hit 5 months since my onset of tinnitus on 11/30/17. I know many here have had it much longer, much louder than I, and have done very well. I was finally coping and getting used to the sound. It would only be audible late at night after a day of noise or after having alcohol. Things would reset after a night of sleep. I started going to the gym and was ok when the pitch would intensify, as it would get better the following day.
      I was able to go to a movie with ear plugs and there was not major difference. I even ventured out and flew to CA to attend my cousin's wedding in San Francisco. I got custom ear plugs and wore them at the wedding for most of the night. I returned and was ok with the sound level. Things seemed good.

Then this week for some odd reason, the high pitch dialed up to the point where it's audible in the morning and evening. It's a bit like a tea kettle whistle or a dental drill. I can only think of two things that changed:

1) Drinking coffee/caffeine the past two weeks. I had eliminated coffee from my diet for about a year. Only had some when drinking green tea. I'll eliminate this starting today.
      2) Being in a restaurant where the music was slightly louder than normal and I forgot my ear plugs. This was just on Monday. A car alarm also went off on me on Tuesday for about 15-20 seconds.

This stuff messes with me emotionally. I felt I was doing so well and now this. I just keep telling myself that things will go back to normal, and if they don't I'll adapt just like I did before. I'd rather deal w/some sound than chronic pain that's debilitating and that's the way I'm trying to cope now.

Just needed to vent and check back in. Any positive thoughts or words of advice would be nice.

Thanks and be well everyone.
      Hugo

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      I think maybe just a spike

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      HCR123
      Frustrated

HCR123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/anxiety from chronic pain; triggered by Audio test
      Yes, I think definitely a spike....just hadn't had one this intense in a while. I can almost 'feel' it ringing or buzzing in my head. It's all day as opposed to evening only. I just keep telling myself my anxiety is getting the better of me and that it can subside like the other spikes in the past. Appreciate your response Jason!