Chocolate/Cacao and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danny Boy, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      I can eat chocolate and never get a spike, but yet if I drink a cup of coffee it spikes but I'm fine with chocolate and I eat a lot of chocolate.

2. MuffinMan
      Alienated

MuffinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, started the moment I woke up from a nightmare.
      So does a chocolate typically cause a tinnitus spike due to its sugar level or cacao?

I read that Cacao (pure cacao powder with no added sugar) is good because it makes blood flows faster; so I wonder if the culprit in chocolate bars is usually the sugar?

3. Peaches

Peaches Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear issues
      I am just wondering if anyone has had a spike in tinnitus after eating chocolate.

I felt like l was controlling my tinnitus by learning to not think about it. I've been sleeping better with no sleeping aid to take.

For a few days I've been eating some chocolate and now l feel like its back in my head as when it started. And l feel a little off balance too.

Any thoughts would be helpful as l get stressed out which doesn't help either.

4. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      Good question. I can only speak for myself when I say that eating a little chocolate now and then does not bother my tinnitus at all. However, I prefer to eat the darker varieties, only because I prefer them over the sweeter milk chocolate.

Here is a link to another discussion, perhaps you will find it informative...

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/chocolate-helps-my-tinnitus.29156/

5. Peaches

Peaches Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right ear issues
      Thank you for your input and the link. Like with anything l guess it's just finding out what triggers it to get bad. I have an appt on Thursday with my ENT. I'll see what she says. I'm sometimes fearful now of those visits as I've been reading post where people have said ENT made tinnitus worse. Who know.

6. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      The meals do not seem to affect me. I can drink 5 glasses of Coke, go to sleep and the next day have a "moderate" day. It does not generate any significant change.

7. Mr Possible

Mr Possible Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      EDM Concert
      If you point your awareness to a musical piece on the radio while people are talking around you, you will still hear the musical piece very clear because you have shifted your focus on it.
      If in the same situation - you engage in conversations with the poeple around you, you will probably miss all the musical details of that particular song you are hearing. Sometimes you don’t even notice there is music in the background.

The volume of the sensation is the same all the time. It looks looks it is getting up and down in volume but it does not. Due to various reasons you have different perceptions in how you experience your tinnitus.
      If you eat chocolate your awareness increases in some parts in your system.
      Your senses become sharper, it looks like the sound is getting louder, but it is only your perception. If you reduce the intake of some substances in your life you can balance your system again. You have to remember that most of the stuff in supermarkets, restaurants etcetera have ingredients in it which are not natural. Or too much ingredients. If you take too much of an ingredient, for example Salt, your system may become more receptive like in the way you perceive life with your senses. Hearing is included in your senses.

If you detoxify your system completely as much as possible, it helps you to get your senses back to their natural state. The tinnitus may still be there but it is hardly noticeable.

On the other hand, if you look at it from another angle.
      If you perceive your T a lot louder when you eat some things, you are actually being helped. Your system is giving an alarm that it has been induced with substances that throw you off-balance.

To cope with Tinnitus..
      To cope with it... sound like there is some kind of resistance.
      Try to change the ‘cope with it’ to ‘live with it’.
      There comes a point where you Have to accept the T as a part of what you perceive
      This acceptance will give a tremendous relief.

Everytime you give up 1 thing you like, there is always an infinite other things to choose from. Don’t let the giving up of things you like lead you to depresion because you hear your T louder.

8. Mr Possible

Mr Possible Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      EDM Concert
      We also have to understand that we are all unique.
      I read a lot of comments like what you can or can’t eat.
      One can eat chocolate and have no spikes at all while another one is very sensitive to chocolate in terms of spiking.
      Just like all of our fingerprints are unique, the ways we perceive our T is also unique.

For 2 reasons I am a great believer in a cure.
      1. most of the time I am cured. I accepted it so it doesn’t bother me anymore and the result is: hardly noticeable, sometimes have to concentrate to hear it.

2. My believe creates your reality.

It is not your desire that is creating your reality.
      You have a desire for T to go away comoletely but your believe says otherwise.

I am glad to experience this T at any moment in my life for it tells me exactly If I’m on the right track or not.