Collection of Success Stories

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Erlend, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      tinnitus-success-stories.png

• Like x 8
      • Winner x 3
      • Agree x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Funny x 1
    2. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Thanks for sharing! :) I know it can go away. I had T for months years ago after pending time in a too loud club. It eventually was completely gone. Unfortunately here I am again, but I'm hopeful it will go away again.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      How loud was it, and how much did it bother you? I feel like I have made is such a big part of mylife that it can't go away, although that's really not very rational.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Erlend,

I don't know exactly how loud, but loud enough that friends and I had to shout in each others ears to hear one another. I had the beat of the music pounding throughout my entire body for hours afterward. This was 15+ years ago. I had T for some months, although I can't remember how many. It bothered me immensely. I had to sleep with the TV on nightly. I couldn't escape the sound. I do remember feeling great relief from T on a camping trip. I couldn't hear the T sounds even if I tried when out in nature.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Misery,

So how did it go away? Was it sudden or gradually? And why has it come back do you think? Another concert, stress, or do you think it's "the same T" doing comeback?

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Hi Per,

It went away gradually over months. The first time around with T was noise induced. I spent too many hours at a very loud club.

I though this time around was also noise induced as I had attended a concert around the same time. I always were ear plugs at concerts, etc. I also had a cold a the time of the concert and several weeks after T made its appearance I was diagnosed with a "near sinus/ear infection" with fluid/pressure in left ear (my T ear). I was put on Nasonex and an antibiotic, which did nothing. I still use the Nasonex and I've also been using Sudafed consistently since last Thursday. The Sudafed seems to be working quite well for me.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      I've just spoken with a friend whose brother had T after doing a lot of clubbing, after a year it reduced down to virtually nothing and he's back out as if nothing had happened. So it can happen!

Stay cool and keep thinking positive.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @Misery,

Erlend asked you how loud it was, dunno if he meant the concert but you described the sound level at the concert, I'm more curious how loud your initial T was? And is it lower or higher than your first onset now? When reading peoples personal T description many times I must admit I'm struck by toughs like "hm, it doesn't seem like this person has any serious T at all." Not meaning to be insensitive but when a person describes their T as "a faint annoying signal in the background" I'm wondering if we were better off grading T by it's loudness level, I know that some medical environments use a scale from 1-4, where level 4 is severe and disabling. While I'm writing this I have many external sound sources around me but I can hardly hear my fingers hitting the keys cause my T is so freaking loud. Makes me wonder if I'm an extreme case as so many here describes their T as so moderate yet annoying. Can you hear your T loud and above anything else while you are walking in a busy street? Or in a crowded shopping mall? I'm six months into my T&H and it's still as loud and persistent as the first day. The reason I ask you about loudness is because you got rid of it once, and I wonder if the loudness and severity of it decides the chances of recovery and/or reduction, or if its totally random. I haven't been close to anything near habituation and I'm feeling my chances are slim now that I've passed the "magical" 6 months mark.

9. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      from personnal experience, my brother is also suffering from tinnitus noise induced, at first he could hear it even while driving but after three months it gradually went down but never went away as it's been 5 years now.

He had a tinnitus loudness matching test last week, unfortunately his tinnitus frequency is way beyond the machine used by the audiologist 10khz nevertheless, his left ear is 10 db, his right ear 25db.

I have no idea how loud is mine but i can hear it only in quiet room, if i'm going in nature i don"t hear it, i would evaluate mine at 700hz in the left ear, yes i know it's a medium frequency tinnitus i call it my good ear and the right ear at 7000hz with some days painfull hyperacousia(the more i expose my right ear to normal noise the less i experience this pain) but nothing that does prevent me to live normally exept issues with sleep.

10. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Is the aim with loudness matching test to compare or match the loudness of each ear? Did you do such a test at an audiologist? I was never offered a test like this, I only did a threshold test for the H and a traditional hearing test for the T.

11. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Per sorry to hear that your t is as loud now as it was when you first got it 6 months ago, just out of curiosity did you ever take any supplements ? Thank you.

12. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      @Valentin,

The first time I had tea was over 15 years ago. I don't exactly remember how I was in comparison to this current time.

I hear the tinnitus over everything except for the shower and the vacuum cleaner. The sound is much more pleasant now than it was in the beginning. For the first several weeks I felt as though I had a generator running in my head. It was that type of sound and very loud and it almost felt as if my head were vibrating. Currently the sound is lower volume, not quite as loud as it was in the beginning though. But the sound is now much more pleasant. It's almost as if I am hearing windchimes or a Salvation Army bell ringer. But I still do hear the tinnitus over everything except for the shower and vacuum cleaner. I hear it when I'm driving the car with the radio on, watching TV, etc...

• Like Like x 1
    13. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Another thing, for some reason the T doesn't cause me a lot of anxiety. I have more curiosity about it than anxiety. I do believe it's because this is my second time down this road.

14. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I started taking Magnesium (250mg I believe) in the end of June, the container was large so it lasted until first week of October. I didn't continue cause I felt no effect.

15. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I envy you that Misery. I wish I knew how to habituate but I don't think it's an effort thing really. I believe the T level is very different between individuals, let's just hope that moderate T is achievable for all.

16. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Ok thanks, Per

17. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Thought I'd add a bit here before christmas eve :)
      My last ENT told me that she like any ENT can't tell one if t is permanent, she also had many patients who would return to her after days, weeks, months and years with t completely gone.

From /r/ tinnitus 19th of December
      "For some reason that escapes me completely my Tinnitus has almost completely disappeared. I'm in a completely silent room and it's 12:30 at night so no sound is coming from anywhere else and I can barely hear my T at all and it's been like this for a week +" (t since September).
      Response:
      "One of my wife's aunts had T for the better part of 20 years and suddenly one day it went away. I have no details of how bad it was or one/two ears but it's now gone. She has no idea why it came or why it went away."

Lately there was a short focus on tinnitus and hearing in the evening show of the Danish broadcast network, where a young girl told her story of tinnitus. After working as a volunteer at the Roskilde Festival in front of a pair of drums she acquired tinnitus. After 8 months of hissing, ringing and all the other sounds one can create, the noise induced tinnitus disappered. 4 years later she paid Roskilde Festival a visit once again, equipped with a pair of custom made earplugs, where she cautiously and unfortunately acquired it again, and after 8 months it diminished to a very low level, and now she lives a habituated life, staying aware from noise exposure :)

Merry Christmas for tomorrow!

• Like Like x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    18. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      @Tenna, thank you for this post, good to read.
      Merry Christmas to you too xx

19. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I agree Sherri, it worked on me, its going to be a good Christmas :)!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi all, thought I'd bump up this thread as I'm sure many of us could use some positive stories! :)

My T started when I was 17 after going to a few clubs while on holiday. In the years that followed, my T reduced to the point where I could only hear it at night with my head on my pillow. Throughout my 20s it hardly bothered me at all, expect when I got a cold or during stressful times. I was always careful with loud noises.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of taking Mirtazapine (Remeron) four months ago as I was having sleeping difficulties because of stress at work (not sure why my GP prescribed it to me as I was not depressed?!) but he assured me it was a safe way to improve my sleep. Three weeks after taking it my T went through the roof. I stopped taking the meds which made it EVEN worse. Later I found out this was the result of withdrawal, even after such a short period of time.

Anyway, to keep things positive, I feel that my T has improved compared to four months ago, although its still debilitating and I hear it all the time. However... I have been told (and I've read) that with time, rest and patience, most cases of T induced by medication (Benzos, anti-D's, blood pressure meds etc.) will improve...

Four months and counting.

I'll keep you updated, fingers crossed!! :)

• Like Like x 3
    21. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Thanks for the upbeat post, Maria! I hope you're right about the medicine-induced tinnitus; it's been almost four years for me. Mine is not gone, but it has definitely gotten better. There is hope for all of us!!

• Like Like x 2
    22. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      This is a good thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Ivan2475

Ivan2475 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Either citopram or stress and anxiety
      Hi

I know it’s a long time ago, but I have the same as you, from medication.

Has yours got any better and hope do?

Thank you

Ivan

• Like Like x 1