Clothing Stores LOUD MUSIC!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stacey, Aug 2, 2015.

1. stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey Everyone,
      I'm sure many of you have experienced this, walking into a store that was way too loud and had to walk right out. Well that's been happening to me lately, every time I even attempt to go to a store its so loud especially the clothing stores like forever21, sephora, H&M, to name a few. I think its absolutely ridiculous how loud stores have gotten!!!! Like why? are they trying to compete with a club or something????? don't they know that if people wanted to hear loud music they would go to either a club or lounge......... It makes life beyond more difficult for us with tinnitus and hyperacusis, I can't even shop peacefully without worrying about the loud music effecting my T and H , granted at times I wear my noise cancelling headphones but the loud music makes it beyond nerve racking. I cant even believe that people without ear problems haven't even spoken up about this issue, like how can they shop in a place that makes it unbearable to even think. Stores really need to lower their tone, loud music is completely unnecessary, and my worst fear is that in given time more stores and malls will become plagued with loud music :(

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Don't worry Walmart will never have loud music!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      stacey
      Bookworm

stacey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/15/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Meh I wouldn't be too certain about that.

4. stelar

stelar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1985
      Doubt it, but even so....there is always Value Village.

5. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Or shop online lol.....most places have free returns anyway!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Stacey,

I agree with you about the loud music in clothing stores, especially stores geared toward younger people. I believe it is the "cool factor" at work; the retailers think it will attract more of their target customers. However, I believe the opposite is true. Also, I remember going as a parent along with my teenage daughters to certain stores, and feeling like I could barely think, due to the loudness of the music.

We seem to be getting conditioned to expect loudness everywhere we go these days -- stores, restaurants, movie theaters, clubs -- all playing music above a comfortable level. I think that those of us with tinnitus should boycott those establishments. It's bad for everyone, whether they are aware of it yet, or not.

Thanks for starting this thread!

7. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I haven't noticed this at all here in Finland

8. Nor here in Sweden. You are welcome to shop here :)

9. Inge
      Cool

Inge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzodiazepine withdrawal
      The loud music is probably a sales technique. You cant hear yourself think so you will buy on impulse? I hate it too all the noise in the stores.

10. Brian Reade
      Cheerful

Brian Reade Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after chiropractic neck adjustment
      I think it is a sales technique designed to make customers buy impulsively, rather than they spend a lot of time thinking and evaluating their purchases. A few years ago I walked into a Best Buy and also I think a Circuit City. The music was way too loud so I walked out. I don't think the music is loud enough to cause injury. I think it's just loud enough to make the customers move quickly.....see an item, pick it up, walk to the register, pay, leave store.

11. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Here in Florida, everthing revolves around living outdoors. We have beautiful shopping centers, lavishly landscaped with waterfalls, etc. Of course speakers and music all over the place! Even in the parking lots! God forbid, you are ever in a place without music. If you shut down music in stores, took away everyone's I-pods and earbuds, there would be mass suicides!

You have to go to a park or a beach if you want to get away from it. Stores are music crazy and loud! I love music, but there's a time and place for it. If we let marketing & retail morons continue this trend, there will be music piped into the Grand Canyon!

12. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      We? We cant even raise awarness for our own illness...

13. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well then, we should chain the current administration, Congress, and the Senate into chairs, blast their cochlear's out with loud music and then maybe, we'll have some awareness and action taken! let's not forget Hillary and Bill Clinton. Supposedly Bill has T also, most likely from listening to her, not from playing the sax!

14. Brian Reade
      Cheerful

Brian Reade Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after chiropractic neck adjustment
      The ONLY language that these stores will understand is if we do not spend ANY money there. Walk out of the store and then let them know thru either their facebook page, online reviews, and things like that which other people can see. Normally, contacting a business thru the "contact us" link on their website is a waste of time. I'm talking about big businesses and chains.
      On the other hand, I've been in several small "mom & pop" restaurants and other businesses that had music playing at a comfortable level, and some customers have asked them if they'd turn it down, and the owners/managers did.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's exactly what I do now. I Boycott the stores that play excessively loud music. I did it even before T and hearing loss. I just can't concentrate on a purchase, under extreme, noise stress.