CO2 and Smoke Alarms

Discussion in 'Support' started by Wolfears, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Just wondering how are you guys feeling about having them inside your homes?

I think most of the new homes have them already hardwired in.

Either way, if your house was to burn down, first thing that the insurance investigators will focus on will be the whether you had them or not and act accordingly.

Some jurisdictions already mandate them by law, some do not.
      I'm not aware of any manufacturers making them with adjustable volume... All the ones that I can get are fixed high volume only.

I imagine that someone with severe tinnitus & hyperacusis would have them removed or disabled regardless, as to them the risk of having them go off outweigh the benefits?

2. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      For me, the benefit of the smoke alarm outweighs the risk of spiking my tinnitus. The benefit isn’t for me, the benefit is for my wife, daughter, and the cat. I’m sure I’d feel worse if I saved myself from suffering spikes but lost a person or pet due to a disabled smoke alarm.

Please know I’m not criticizing your question. Believe me, I do understand it. The damn thing went off once when my daughter burned some popcorn and I had to sedate myself for a week to cope and the thought did occur to me to remove it and throw it in the trash but, in the end, I kept it.

Bobby

• Agree Agree x 4