Cochlear Hair Cells

Discussion in 'Support' started by mike, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mike

mike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 1/2 months
      If damage is done to the to the cochlear hair cells. Would you not think Tinnitus would be high or stay at the same sound 24/7. The reason I am asking is I will have it high for 5 days and low for 2 days or sometimes high for 4 days and low for 3 day.I know that nobody really knows.I am just wondering what other people think.

2. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Just my opinion from my own research and experience but I believe Tinnitus to be more then just Cochlear hair damage. I believe a number of nerves in that area of our skull has been affected and because the nervous system is all connected any change to other parts could also affect what goes on in the inner ear.

So quite possibly stress, certain foods, chemical and even EMF pollution could affect the entire nervous system and therefore have an effect on our tinnitus as well.

Just my view however,

3. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows

Hi Mike, I have often wondered the exact same thing, I pretty much the same good and bad periods. I am not complaining though when I have those good days :)
      Perhaps Molan thoughts are plausible.

4. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think this article could help shed some light on the subject,

http://www.acoustics.org/press/159th/liberman.htm

Pasted from the article,

Recent work in our laboratory has shown that significant degeneration of the cochlear nerve occurs after noise exposure, even when there is no hair cell loss, and even when thresholds have returned to normal.

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Interesting, I would think it would not be possible to cure cochlear nerve damage....

6. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Erik do not give up hope yet! There are a variety of studies with alternative treatments which have helped and even cured some people. That gives me belief that it is possible somehow some way to overcome this condition.

I've mentioned this book before but I highly recommend it. It's written for academics but if you have enough of an understanding of Biology I believe you should be able to get through it. (Unfortunately it has drastically gone up in price since I brought it last year)

http://www.amazon.com/Regeneration-Protection-Springer-Handbook-Auditory/dp/1441925198/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348791608&sr=8-1&keywords=Hair Cell Regeneration, Repair, and Protection

It contains so many interesting things about the potential for the people to naturally repair damage in their inner ears. It gives me hope that something can be found which will trigger this process. I found it very encouraging to read.

For those that do not know there are in fact stem cells in our inner ears,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22102534

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I have hope, always.....:)

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      mike -
      In my opinion, if tinnitus is due to cochlear hair damage, it's somewhat constant.

I think that tinnitus that is variable is different than tinnitus due to cochlear hair damage. It may be due to other things, such as brainstem/spine abnormalities or TMJ. I don't think there are a whole lot of different types of tinnitus, but they all are somehow affecting the same auditory neural pathways. The source of the problem may be different, causing the experience of tinnitus to be different.

When I read blogs from some other people - such as yourself, Fish and click - who have variable tinnitus, I think the cause of your tinnitus is different than my own. Mine is slightly variable. I have no wild swings; I can't change it by moving my jaw or neck.

9. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yay!! Really happy to read that Erik!!

10. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      can you elaborate more on EMF with T? Does it affects the nervous system then indirectly affects the T? or does EMF affects the hair cells directly and thus affecting the T directly? if so how does that affect in technical sense?

11. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      I think when there is an hearing damage made, there is a possibility of a brain/neurone disorder, a bad reaction which cause T.

I believe there are some neurones in our auditory brain system who are now plqying tricks to us ...