Confirming Middle Ear Myoclonus (MEM) Diagnosis with Botox?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kongmen, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Kongmen

Kongmen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      blood pressure medication
      Has anyone used Botox to confirm a diagnosis of middle ear myoclonus?

My MEM is not consistent enough (although it happens everyday with some days being very difficult) to get a confirmed diagnosis. My neurotologist is willing to perform surgery where he cuts a small muscle that covers my eardrum in "the hopes" of giving me relief. The surgery is out of pocket and expensive and permanent with no guarantee of relief.

I just wonder if anyone has used Botox and got the clicking to stop even if only for a short time? If Botox stopped the clicking it would be pretty certain that it is in fact middle ear myoclonus.

Thanks for any replies.

2. TheOriginalJoeM

TheOriginalJoeM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As far as I know, Botox will not help with MEM, because you cannot inject the muscles that link to the tendons which spasm and pull on your ossicles that cause the ear drum fluttering. Botox can help with palatal myoclonus. I've had my tendons cut in both ears, and in fact, the left ear's TT regrew twice. But now I believe I have some form of palatal or e-tube dysfunction causing clicks.

I'm glad to address other questions you may have about MEM, as I've "had" it since early 2000's and got the tendons cut mid-2000's and was symptom-free for about 15 years... until last August 2019.

3. Keith D Mitchell
      Alone

Keith D Mitchell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No Idea
      I know this is super duper late, but... you were symptom-free for 15 years. Did the muscles grow back and attach? Did you ever have that looked at again?