Confused About Ringing in Both Ears

Discussion in 'Support' started by StephanieLC, Mar 24, 2017.

1. StephanieLC

StephanieLC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I perforated my right eardrum 5 weeks ago and developed ringing within the next day. It was very quiet at first but sounded more like it was in my head or both ears rather than just the injured ear. By the next day it crept louder and has been that way ever since, but I hear it in both of my ears.

Does anyone know why this would happen if only my right ear was injured? I know the sound is coming from my brain and not my actual ears but I feel like most stories I've read about people developing tinnitus from a perforation only have it in the affected ear. Very confusing!

I've also been worried because I had used Neomycin ear drops one time only (then realized they were ototoxic and stopped using them). I have no hearing loss in either ear and 3 ENTs are sure the ringing is not from the drops. But my ear was bleeding and now I'm worried the medication got into my system since my left ear is also ringing.

It was only 3 drops which I calculated to be about 0.175mg of neomycin total, which is probably even less than or the same as an application of Neosporin so maybe I'm just being overly worried about that part?

Another thing, when the ringing first started my anxiety skyrocketed. It got so bad that I couldn't eat even one bite of food, couldn't sleep, felt like I was in the middle of a horrible panic attack every second for weeks. I developed ear fullness in my left (good) ear, fluttering some days and have tenderness and some pain in the hinge of my jaw. I had a massage and the therapist said my jaw and facial muscles are very tight and my neck is bad too.

Is it possible I'm making my good ear feel this way from all the panic and tension I've been experiencing?

Thanks!

2. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      It is very difficult to stay (relatively) calm when the tinnitus begins. Many people report that anxiety causes an increase in their tinnitus - so it might be the reason in your case too.

I'm very sorry this is happening to you. It gets better with time - hang in there!

In those early days, tinnitus might change A LOT. It should settle down a bit with time too. I doens't help with staying calm, I know.

I hope some more knowledgeable members will express their opinion on medication you've been taking.

Take Care