Contact the ATA Right Now — 3 Minutes to Make a Difference

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Watasha, Jan 6, 2021.

?

Did you email the ATA and demand that they fund more research?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      @Watasha - I would leave a message on social media but I'm old school and I don't think they get it.

To me everything the ATA does should be about funding good research.

I had an opinion of them from the start. When my tinnitus first started I called them. They didn't answer their phone several times, so I used my work phone. I knew they would pick up. They did on the first ring. I asked for information. She told me to join the ATA, and that they were closing up shop and moving in a few weeks to Washington, DC. I think they had plenty of time to fund good research, and at the very least an idea of a solution. If they can move from West Coast to Washington, DC I think they have money and should not be pitching for it.

Because when that lady (Dr. Shore) in Michigan finds anything that can work, I would send something directly to her.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
    3. Artem
      Frustrated

Artem Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      vaccine + acoustic trauma
      This was ATA's answer to me -

Hello Artem,

Thank you for taking the time to email us.

The ATA is committed to funding research aimed at advancing potential cures and better treatments.

Our work also includes fostering broader understanding of hearing health, tinnitus prevention and management, as well as improved care of tinnitus patients within the U.S. healthcare system.

For those who have or develop tinnitus, we expect the future to include options to mitigate or eliminate the sound/s. That vision, however, is dependent upon sustained research funding, which the ATA will continue to do through its innovative seed grant program.

Thank you again for reaching out.

Wishing you a safe and peaceful holiday season.

Warm regards,
      Joy

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for providing the feedback you received. I would strongly encourage you to not donate to the ATA unless it's earmarked specifically for research if that is your goal, as only a small portion of their contributions go to research.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Watasha
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They definitely get messages on social media. They censored me for sharing the statistics on their grants to contributions ratio.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Watasha
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You could on their social media.

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      My wife appreciated the ATA sending reps to speak to students and their parents within her grade school system. They spoke about hearing health, tinnitus prevention and management. Tinnitus has been on the increase among grade school students in my wife's school district and with the efforts of the ATA, tinnitus onset has dropped.

The ATA also sent reps to my hospital and give education classes for doctors and nurses. This was a program to improve care of tinnitus patients within the U.S. healthcare system. The ATA rep telephone numbers are also given to patients.

Many who receive tinnitus, especially the younger, panic and don't know what to do, such as not to be around loud noise and not to use headphones at higher volume.

The ATA awareness programs are needed.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Watasha
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The main problem with the ATA is about 75% of their contributions go to salaries and consulting fees. What compounds this problem is the fact that they provide almost no transparency about what these people do on a day to day basis. While we really need awareness, no-one in good faith could really recommend donating to them when 5-17% on contributions go to research and they won't disclose what their employees do daily. Hearing Health Foundation converts 70% of contributions to research grants.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1