Could 10 years of bilateral purple noise tinitus be a warning sign for SCDS

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by madusmacus, Oct 3, 2014.

1. madusmacus
      Sad

madusmacus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had this tinnitus for 10 years and it has a very large somantic component (+/- 400% volume on neck movements etc)

But to add insult to injury I have just been diagoned with SCDS in my left ear (with another sinewave tinnitus and pulsile too)
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superior_canal_dehiscence

Sorry if its obsurde to think like this but I am wondering if the two are linked somehow?

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @madusmacus -

To the best of my knowledge tinnitus is not classically felt to be a component of SCDS. (I realize that it is listed in the Wikipedia article you cited, but most of the material I have read over the years on SCDS do not refer to tinnitus.)

From a practical standpoint the issue really comes down to what other elements of SCDS you might have and how those elements affect your life. I would not be inclined to recommend surgery for SCDS based solely on tinnitus. So take tinnitus out of the equation for a moment. If your doctor still recommends surgical intervention, then you might go ahead with it and consider any possible improvement from a tinnitus standpoint to be an unexpected bonus rather than a reason to have the surgery in the first place. That's how I see it, anyway.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1