Could Microsuction Worsen My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by su bernadette, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. su bernadette
      Pensive

su bernadette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/03/2014
      Hi Dr Nagler,
      I would value your opinion on microsuction. I have an infection at present in my right ear and my tinnitus has worsened and accompanied by pulsatile tinnitus.
      I went to see ENT doctor today who suggested microsuction as I have some debris in my ear. I am on flucloxacillin which seems to be helping as I have staph aureaus bugs.

Do you know if this procedure could worsen my tinnitus as I am not sure whether I can take much more re the very intrusive noise.
      I am very scared to have this procedure done. Can the debris also worsen my tinnitus. I cant work it out as I know the sound comes from my limbic system.
      Thank you
      Susi

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      It is unlikely that microsuction (done carefully) will aggravate your tinnitus, but I am aware of a few cases where that has happened. If you have any real concerns in the above regard, your ENT can use a variety of very small instruments to manually remove the debris without suction.

Anything blocking your ear canal to the extent that it affects your hearing can cause your tinnitus to sound louder until it is removed. But it really takes a fair amount of debris to occlude the ear canal to that degree. Most of the time people with tinnitus are found to have excessive debris in their ear canals, removing it does not appreciably improve the tinnitus. The main reason to remove excessive debris that does not come out on its own is that its presence blocks complete visualization of the tympanic membrane during examination.

stephen nagler

• Like Like x 1